X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Permit Loop hole?

Hi Guys,

Here's my situation:
    I am a Canadian about to move to California on a fiancee visa. We'll get married, and I will immediately file forms to change my status to conditional permanent resident along with forms asking for a work permit. I have no idea how long the process will take before I can get a work permit SO my question is:

Without the work permit, am I allowed to work for companies based in Canada (e.g. work done online or help publicize a Canadian author in a US city)? I am also curious as to whether I can receive royalties from posting photos on istock while I am in the US.

What do you think?

Hey, I received replies from elsewhere that some of you may find useful. I'll copy/paste below:

""I only know how to answer a few of your q's: After filing for PR, it will take approx 90 days for your work permit to arrive. It shouldn't be longer than that. As far as I know you can work for a Canadian company, as long as your Canadian social security no is used, and you get paid by the Canadian company."

"First of all, when you enter the US on the K-1 visa you should request employment authorized on the I-94 card. This is what you should get but not all ports of entry issue it that way. If you do, then you can work for as long as the K-1 I-94 is valid and if you time the marriage in such a way as to apply for the work permit right away, you can have almost uninterrupted employment authorization."

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X