Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I apply for ITIN while EAD, AP, & Green Card is pending??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I apply for ITIN while EAD, AP, & Green Card is pending??

Hi Immihelp,

Please help me if whether I can apply for an ITIN Number while my immigration paperwork is pending.
    The main reason for me to do so is to file income tax and to also build my credit history here in the USA since my canadian history doesn't seem to matter here.

My husband is a US Citizen, we are obviously married and have EAD, Advance Parole, and Green Card pending as we speak. (Pending for 88 days and still no update for EAD).

We need to file taxes to IRS. We have decided to file together/jointly. I moved to USA July 2017 and had a full time job in Canada until July. Would I have to file my canadian income here along with my husband's income altogether? Or would I have to file my canadian tax there and file the other income here? So it will end up that I filed taxes for 2 different countries for the same year? Wouldn't this cost me more, since I will get double taxed by 2 separate countries?

Going back to the main question, if we file tax now, would i be given a ITIN number? Or do I have to apply for it?

I am very confused. Please let us know if there's any advice you can help us with. We would really appreciate it.

Originally posted by hernameisela View Post
    Hi Immihelp,

Please help me if whether I can apply for an ITIN Number while my immigration paperwork is pending.
    The main reason for me to do so is to file income tax and to also build my credit history here in the USA since my canadian history doesn't seem to matter here.

My husband is a US Citizen, we are obviously married and have EAD, Advance Parole, and Green Card pending as we speak. (Pending for 88 days and still no update for EAD).

We need to file taxes to IRS. We have decided to file together/jointly. I moved to USA July 2017 and had a full time job in Canada until July. Would I have to file my canadian income here along with my husband's income altogether? Or would I have to file my canadian tax there and file the other income here? So it will end up that I filed taxes for 2 different countries for the same year? Wouldn't this cost me more, since I will get double taxed by 2 separate countries?

Going back to the main question, if we file tax now, would i be given a ITIN number? Or do I have to apply for it?

I am very confused. Please let us know if there's any advice you can help us with. We would really appreciate it.
    Before you get an EAD or green card, you don't qualify for an SSN, so you would apply for an ITIN to file taxes.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Before you get an EAD or green card, you don't qualify for an SSN, so you would apply for an ITIN to file taxes.
      Would you suggest to apply for it now in order for me to file taxes? And also, I am aware that I can build credit using the ITIN number, would I also be able to carry over that credit history once I get a SSN?

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X