Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-entry after 10 year ban.

Hi,

I received a 10 year ban, I assume in 2009 when I left of my own accord. I was married to an American and the overstay was due to complications with our visa application. This is what I need to know - does the visa ban start from when I left the country or when I tried to re-enter the next year?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Desroches View Post
    Hi,

I received a 10 year ban, I assume in 2009 when I left of my own accord. I was married to an American and the overstay was due to complications with our visa application. This is what I need to know - does the visa ban start from when I left the country or when I tried to re-enter the next year?

Thanks for your help.
    Do you mean a 10-year ban because you accrued more than 1 year of "unlawful presence" during a single stay and then you left the US? It's 10 years from the date you left the US.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Yes that's right. Have read that it starts from when you try to re-enter. But it's definitely from when you leave? Makes more sense! Do you know if I just need to apply for a tourist visa now the ban is over, or is it more complicated? Thanks.

Comment

How do you know you were banned?

Comment

Originally posted by cense View Post
          How do you know you were banned?
          Bans are matters of law. So you look at the law and apply it to your situation to determine whether you are currently under a ban. In the OP's case, they had an INA 212(a)(9)(B) "unlawful presence" ban, where if someone accrues 180 days of "unlawful presence" and then leave the US, they have a 3-year ban from when they left the US; if someone accrues 1 year of "unlawful presence" and then leave the US, they have a 10-year ban from when they left the US. The definition of "unlawful presence" is somewhat complicated. There are also other types of bans for other situations.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            Bans are matters of law. So you look at the law and apply it to your situation to determine whether you are currently under a ban. In the OP's case, they had an INA 212(a)(9)(B) "unlawful presence" ban, where if someone accrues 180 days of "unlawful presence" and then leave the US, they have a 3-year ban from when they left the US; if someone accrues 1 year of "unlawful presence" and then leave the US, they have a 10-year ban from when they left the US. The definition of "unlawful presence" is somewhat complicated. There are also other types of bans for other situations.
            Also the OP responded yes to your initial question(s) which may not answer all of them with a yes. Either way let's assume he got the 10yr ban as he's asking for something about 2009.
            This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
            122017 - PD
            012518 - Biometrics
            033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
            062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
            082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
            090418 - 2nd we scheduled
            091018 - first interview canceled
            092118 - Request to reschedule int
            102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
            030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand