Owning a home after returning to my home country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning a home after returning to my home country

Hi all, I currently own a home in the USA but thinking of returning to my home country soon. Obviously I would lose my visa, SSN etc.. but ideally I would want to keep my home, maybe as an investment or renting it out. A few questions came up with this:
    - can I still own a home remotely?
    - if I rented the place out, I assume I would need to file tax reports every year as usual, because it’s an income. But I wouldn’t have any SSN or ITIN at that time. How does that work?
    - can I keep my bank account? How often do banks re-check SSN existance?

Has any of you done something like this? Would love to hear opinions.

Thanks

Originally posted by snailteaser View Post
    Hi all, I currently own a home in the USA but thinking of returning to my home country soon. Obviously I would lose my visa, SSN etc.. but ideally I would want to keep my home, maybe as an investment or renting it out. A few questions came up with this:
    - can I still own a home remotely?
    - if I rented the place out, I assume I would need to file tax reports every year as usual, because it?s an income. But I wouldn?t have any SSN or ITIN at that time. How does that work?
    - can I keep my bank account? How often do banks re-check SSN existance?

Has any of you done something like this? Would love to hear opinions.

Thanks
    Once you have a SSN it never goes away or get's invalidated. you will need to file taxes as a non resident, the banks so far as I'm aware don't check on SSN validity(not that it matters cause you never lose a SSN) unless you're first opening a bank acccount
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X