Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Indian passport with valid L1 Visa till oct 2021

Hi All,

Unfortunately I am unable to find my passport.I have a valid visa till oct 2021.
    Valid L1 PED and I -94 till Nov 2020 .Currently in USA
    Worried what will be my next options (other than trying really hard to find my passport)

Some websites says I can apply for a new Passport. Will it be difficult to get my visa re stamped? will there be rejections?
    I suppose I cannot stay in USA without a valid visa even if I get a new passport in USA?

US visas are solely for entry to the US. You only need to have a valid visa on the day you enter. Visa validity has no relevance to your stay in the US -- you can enter the US on the day your visa expires, and be admitted to months or years afterwards, depending on your status. It's your status, as given on your I-94 and other conditions of your status, that matters.

As long as you don't leave the US, the visa doesn't matter. Your stay would be governed by your I-94 and petition, like it would be even if you had a visa. If you leave the US and want to return, at that point you would need to get a new visa at a US consulate abroad.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      US visas are solely for entry to the US. You only need to have a valid visa on the day you enter. Visa validity has no relevance to your stay in the US -- you can enter the US on the day your visa expires, and be admitted to months or years afterwards, depending on your status. It's your status, as given on your I-94 and other conditions of your status, that matters.

As long as you don't leave the US, the visa doesn't matter. Your stay would be governed by your I-94 and petition, like it would be even if you had a visa. If you leave the US and want to return, at that point you would need to get a new visa at a US consulate abroad.
      Thank u for ur response.So as per process I will get my visa cancelled and also get a new passport.
      I dont have to immediately apply for new VISA then.Whenever I go out of USA, that is when I can plan for stamping?

Comment

Originally posted by L1A_asp View Post

Thank u for ur response.So as per process I will get my visa cancelled and also get a new passport.
        I dont have to immediately apply for new VISA then.Whenever I go out of USA, that is when I can plan for stamping?
        I'm not sure what you mean by "get your visa cancelled". Your new passport will not have a visa in it. Your visa is lost; there is nothing to cancel.

You might want to keep a printout of your I-94 in case you ever run into a CBP checkpoint.

Yes, you only need to get a visa when you need to leave the US.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X