Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previous LPR, now denied ESTA

Hi All

Sorry if this is the wrong subsection to post my query. i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation.

Back in 2013 I was granted a K1 visa, and moved to the states, married my husband and became a lawful permanent resident. In 2017 we moved to the UK to be closer to my family. We had read previously that you did not have to do anything with your greencard once you leave if leaving for 6 months or more, and then eventually it expires.

in 2018, we took a 3 week trip to the USA to visit family, and i took my card with me along with marriage licence for proof of name change (as passport is in my maiden name still). This was all fine and no issues besides having our bags screened in a separate area.

so, we plan our next trip to visit family again in 2020, and I am denied an ESTA. we find out that we have to fill out the i-407 to abandon the greencard which we do. However the ESTA still says it is unauthorised. i have now had to fill out the paperwork and collect documentation for a B2 visa.

Can anyone see there being an issue with getting this approved or has anyone else had a similar experience? i just cannot think of any reason why the ESTA would be denied and now have the worry of the B2 visa being denied without reason also.

Also Happy New Year to all!

The problem for ESTA and B2 authorizations is that you need to prove that you don't have immigration intent. Because you already got a GC in the past, it will be very difficult to get an ESTA. B2, because you will go to an interview, maybe it is the only option for you but it will not be a simple interview.

A lot of people, after they get the GC, do everything in their power to keep it. It is expensive but is a good way to be able to travel back to the USA.
    Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
    Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
    Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
    ---
    All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X