Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jury duty summon

Hello,

Would like to know if one is being summoned for jury duty, will it be ok to attend? what is the consequence if a person even selected as a jury? would USCIS found out or crosscheck with local authority when you apply for GC or citizenship? thank you for the info!

If you are not a US citizen, you are not eligible to do jury duty in any state currently. You need to either return a response to the summons that you are not eligible because you are not a citizen, or you can go to the court on the day you are summoned but go directly to the place where you can ask to be excused from jury duty, with the reason being that you are not a citizen. Do not go into the waiting room.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      If you are not a US citizen, you are not eligible to do jury duty in any state currently. You need to either return a response to the summons that you are not eligible because you are not a citizen, or you can go to the court on the day you are summoned but go directly to the place where you can ask to be excused from jury duty, with the reason being that you are not a citizen. Do not go into the waiting room.
      What happened if the person actually went on? will USCIS find out? based on people's experience court normally don't ask for identification other than driver's license.

Comment

A PR cannot, under any circumstances, serve on a jury. Jury duty is reserved for USC ONLY. If you do try to serve on a jury, knowing you cannot legally do so, you may be opening yourself up for all sorts of legal trouble.
        You must decline.
        One would ask the question how someone, who is NOT a USC, was selected for jury duty.
        Sept 6, 2014: Married
        March 13, 2015: file I-130
        June 18, 2015: RFE
        Aug 24, 2015: I-130 approved
        Aug 25, 2015: IV paid
        Oct 27, 2015: DS-260 submitted
        Nov 24, 2015: Documents sent to NVC
        Dec 1, 2015: NVC receives documents
        Jan 11, 2016: RFE sent by NVC
        Feb 27, 2016: Packet 4 received
        Apr 11, 2016: Medical in Montreal, QC
        Apr 15, 2016: US Consulate in Montreal (APPROVED)
        Apr 21, 2016: Pick up Passport with Visa, and IV Package

Comment

Anyone who has driver's license would get the jury duty summon as local dmv will not be able to tell the difference if one is citizen or not. That's the flaw of local government IMHO. My question is still has not been answered, do you think USCIS will find out if the person who's ineligible to serve as a jury if the person actually serve as one?

Comment

Only USCIS knows if they will always find out. The answers here are: why risk it? You should not vote or serve as a jury if you are not US Citizen.
            Nov 2018 - Package sent - EB - Texas Service Center
            Day 1 - Package received at the lockbox
            Day 999 - Card delivered to me - Aug 2021
            ---
            All my posts are based on my experience or information I read on the forums or the USCIS website. I may be wrong. Please consult a professional.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X