Indian citizen name change in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian citizen name change in USA

My wife (OPT) and I (H1) are from India living currently in USA and we are looking for guidance or any help regarding the order of process to be followed on changing the name in USCIS database and Indian passport.

Situation:

Wife's original first name has 4 words - S K P L
    Last name - B (maiden name)

But, in the passport they listed the Given Name: S K P and Last Name: B L

So, while providing the name for anything in US, people mistake L as the last name and that is eventually causing us trouble

We would like to change the complete name, get rid of other words from first name and simply make the first name as P and last name T (my last name).

I understand we need two paper advertisements to begin this process, but not sure if that is the first step in this whole process and what forms to be filled for changing the name here within US. And is there is any website that we can use for posting ads both US and in India?

We greatly appreciate any help that can be offered on this.

Same boat

Hi Ajax57;

I am in the similar (if not same) boat as you. I too am a citizen of India, but am a Permanent Resident (GC) here in MN. I am about to pull the plug, and change my name and have been looking for a few answers. I have the same problem with my names, and have, FN1 MN1 MN2 and LN1. However MN2 is my actual first name and MN1 is the middle name. Lots of confusion.

Here is what I have so far, and comparing to your notes:

I understand we need two paper advertisements to begin this process, but not sure if that is the first step in this whole process and what forms to be filled for changing the name here within US. And is there is any website that we can use for posting ads both US and in India?
    First things first. Go to the Indian consulate website, and get the affidavit downloaded. Fill it out; have it signed and notarized. Indian newspaper will not touch/place your ad without this.

Next thing - go to your local newspaper office, and place a name change ad there. Now, here is the problem. From what I hear, you will have to go through the court system, get a hearing with a judge, and then file for a name change. The local newspapers will not place your ad without this court order. However, I asked my local court clerk, how this would be applicable to me, since I am not a citizen. She did not have any answers. Furthermore, this court order costs somewhere around $300. Also, I am changing my name on my Indian documents - the court should not have anything to do with this. USCIS documents... I am not even sure what happens there.

So, while we wait to figure this out - you can take that first step, download that Affidavit, fill it out and get the ad placed in the Indian newspaper. There are a few websites that will place your ad in the local paper of your choice. Just do a Google search. You have a 30 day wait, anyway, from the date your ad was published.

This is what am thinking of doing:

1. Get the affidavit filled and signed.
    2. Send copy to Indian newspaper.
    3. Place ad locally - depending on what they want.
    4. Apply for new passport in 30 days.
    5. Fill out Form I-90 and get updated Green card for $360.

Any thoughts/comments from anyone else would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by ITGuyMN; 08-17-2012, 02:09 PM.

Comment

name change

Did anybody posted ad in US for a name change. Can you please provide me the way how to place an add. I contacted a news papaer here in US for which they have asked for a court order. Are there any news papers place ad with out a court order here in USA.

Comment

Changed the last name in USA

Originally posted by MNUK View Post
        Did anybody posted ad in US for a name change. Can you please provide me the way how to place an add. I contacted a news papaer here in US for which they have asked for a court order. Are there any news papers place ad with out a court order here in USA.
        Court order is not required to change the last name. I have documented the entire process at this link:

Comment

Hi Gaurav,

I do not find the link in your post.

Could you please help me on the below process:

I need to add my last name in PASSPORT, SSN, I797. Currently all of my documents i.e. Birth certificate, Education certificates and passport has First name only. Could someone help me with the process.

Thanks,

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X