Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need urgent help regarding ITIN

Hi,

I stayed in US from Nov 2010 till Aug 2013 (till my L1B got expired). Then I returned back to India in Aug-2013 and staying in India since then. I got married on 16-Sep-2013. When I was getting tax returns estimates from few agents, one agent is telling that I can file ITIN for my wife (though she never visited US and she doesn't have any visa) and he is asking for a copy of my wife's passport so that he can help me fill form W7 for her. He is providing double the returns that what other agents are providing. Please let me know whether it is legal to do it this way. He has also mentioned that, for spouse a signed and dated copy of passport would do.

Note: The person who is suggesting me this method is a certified acceptance agent.

Thanks.

You have been given correct information about obtaining an ITIN, through assistance of an Acceptance Agent, for your wife.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ArumugamJP View Post
    Hi,

I stayed in US from Nov 2010 till Aug 2013 (till my L1B got expired). Then I returned back to India in Aug-2013 and staying in India since then. I got married on 16-Sep-2013. When I was getting tax returns estimates from few agents, one agent is telling that I can file ITIN for my wife (though she never visited US and she doesn't have any visa) and he is asking for a copy of my wife's passport so that he can help me fill form W7 for her. He is providing double the returns that what other agents are providing. Please let me know whether it is legal to do it this way. He has also mentioned that, for spouse a signed and dated copy of passport would do.

Note: The person who is suggesting me this method is a certified acceptance agent.

Thanks.

Comment

Extension to file tax

Thanks Ray B. He also said, the last date to file tax is 15-Apr-2014. But an extension can be filed and in that case, the last date would be 15-Oct-2014. What is the procedure to get the date extended?

Thanks.

Comment

An extension request, using form 4868, needs to be submitted to IRS.

--Ray B

Originally posted by ArumugamJP View Post
        Thanks Ray B. He also said, the last date to file tax is 15-Apr-2014. But an extension can be filed and in that case, the last date would be 15-Oct-2014. What is the procedure to get the date extended?

Thanks.

Comment

Need urgent help regarding ITIN

I am also in the same situation, i came to USA in July2013 and my wife has never been to US but she have valid H4 visa. she is travelling to US in April 2014. Can i file tax return as married by applying ITIN for my wife with her passport attested copy? My friends are suggesting if we file tax returns for dependents who are never been to US will impact in Audits and GC processing. Is it true?

Kindly provide your suggestions

-S

Comment

As far I know, wife's location doesn't matter. If you are married, you can do joint filing by applying for ITIN with the necessary documents.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X