Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to get a SSN within 10 days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to get a SSN within 10 days?

Hi guys,

I got a job offer and sent them paperworks. I put down “applied for” as my Social Security Number because I don't have one. My employer called me today and said "we need your social security number to begin your on-boarding process. If you don't get a SSN by January 29, we can't hire you." I got my EAD card today (January 18) and went to Social Security Office to apply it, but it was closed because today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day ( I didn't know that haha. I am dumb).

My employment start date on EAD card is January 22nd and I need a SSN by January 29th. Some people say it takes 2 weeks and some people say I can get it within 10 days. Friend of mine said he got his SSN on the day when he applied for it. I just want to make sure I get my SSN by January 29. I would really appreciate any help or tip! Is there any way I can figure out what my SSN is before they mail it to me?

Also, I read this post on this site. "as soon as you have your EAD card in your hand, you can apply for SSN. SSN processing takes 10 days by mail, however, the trick is, if you go for an update of SSN after 2 days of applying, they might give you SSN then. It worked for my wife. Refer to your local SSN office." Does it really work? and if I were to go for an update of SSN after 2 days of processing, what should I update? I can't think of anything I can update haha.

By the way, I am on F-1 Visa and OPT. Thank you!

I went in twice, first when I got my EAD and then for an update when I got my green card. Both times it arrived pretty quickly, about a week. I have no idea if that is standard though. Just apply as quickly as possible, I think that's all you can really do. Go in early in the morning and as soon as you can, hopefully it will arrive in time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X