Tax returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax returns

So, to make long story short: I got married in may, however, I haven't got my work authorization, so technically, I am not allowed to work. However, I have been paying taxes and received my tax return forms. Should I say I am single on my tax return form or married?

No. Absolutely not. If you are married, you cannot file as Single under any circumstances. You can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately (or in very rare circumstances, Head of Household).

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

How are you paying taxes when you are not working or allowed to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Antanas Simkus View Post
        So, to make long story short: I got married in may, however, I haven't got my work authorization, so technically, I am not allowed to work. However, I have been paying taxes and received my tax return forms. Should I say I am single on my tax return form or married?
        thank you for reply, its one problem-I haven't got my work authorization yet, so technically I'm not supposed to be working, so I'm not even supposed to be doing my taxes, does that matter?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jayleno View Post
        How are you paying taxes when you are not working or allowed to work?
        I have to support myself, so I have to work, right? I work regardless whether I got authorization or not, that's the trick

Comment

" I haven't got my work authorization, so technically, I am not allowed to work. " There is nothing technical about it, your not allowed to work and you did.

This is my opinion and not legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Trinity71

Comment

File your tax return accurately, regardless of whether you are authorized to work.

ICE will forgive many things that the IRS will not

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
              File your tax return accurately, regardless of whether you are authorized to work.

ICE will forgive many things that the IRS will not
              Get it. The question is - should I file it together jointly with my wife or as a single person?

Comment

Get it. The question is - should I file it together jointly with my wife or as a single person?
                Like I said, someone who is married at the end of the year absolutely CANNOT file as "Single" under any circumstances. The choices are "Married Filing Jointly" or "Married Filing Separately". Which one of those is up to you -- usually whichever leads to less taxes. Almost always, Married Filing Jointly leads to less taxes than Married Filing Separately; sometimes much less.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately, it is up to you, but you can't file as Single.

I file my taxes jointly because it is easier for me

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X