Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US income tax return and joint filing

Hi All,

Need some urgent help regarding the joint filing procedure. My spouse is in US for the past 4 years on H1B visa and we recently got married (Nov). I am currently in US on H4 visa and we want to do joint tax filing. We are based out of California. Would appreciate if anyone can help me with the procedure and how to do joint filing.

Thanks a lot in advance

This is an income tax question, rather than immigration, but your question seems pretty easy to answer. To apply as joint filers, you simply put both your names on the income tax return (since you were married during the 2016 tax year). You must both have SSN's. If not, you can apply for ITIN at the same time as filing, by using form W7 and paper-filing to the IRS Texas W7 office.

--Ray B

Originally posted by vgarg28 View Post
    Hi All,

Need some urgent help regarding the joint filing procedure. My spouse is in US for the past 4 years on H1B visa and we recently got married (Nov). I am currently in US on H4 visa and we want to do joint tax filing. We are based out of California. Would appreciate if anyone can help me with the procedure and how to do joint filing.

Thanks a lot in advance

Comment

You were both married to each other on the last day of tax year 2016

One of you was a US resident for tax purposes at the end of tax year 2016

Therefore, the couple can file a 2016 tax return jointly (Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ), electing to both be treated as residents for entirety of tax year 2016

If you have H4-EAD you are entitled to an SSN. Otherwise, apply for an ITIN on Form W-7

Filing jointly may not be the most advantageous approach if the nonresident spouse earned or accrued more income abroad than would be provided by the additional standard deduction and exemption the resident spouse would get by filing separately

Comment

Hi inadmissible

Thanks for your reply to my post on joint filing. However, I am quite stuck with the whole process of doing this joint filing. Will it be possible for you to share your coordinates (email or phone number) so that I can write or talk to you and understand the details of this process. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        You were both married to each other on the last day of tax year 2016

One of you was a US resident for tax purposes at the end of tax year 2016

Therefore, the couple can file a 2016 tax return jointly (Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ), electing to both be treated as residents for entirety of tax year 2016

If you have H4-EAD you are entitled to an SSN. Otherwise, apply for an ITIN on Form W-7

Filing jointly may not be the most advantageous approach if the nonresident spouse earned or accrued more income abroad than would be provided by the additional standard deduction and exemption the resident spouse would get by filing separately

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X