Tax filing for new permanent resident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax filing for new permanent resident

My spouse received the green card in Oct last year and was staying out of US majority of the times. He used to get the health insurance from insubuy/atlas whenever he traveled to the US last year. So, we had the insurance on months Jul - Oct for him.

I was wondering how to go about filing tax since the deadline is approaching.

Do I have to file jointly (spouse without income) and then pay 2.5% fee for not having him under insurance (jan to jun) OR do I file married but separate but not let him file the tax since he had zero income (if that is an option)?

Really confused. Any advice would be appreciated.

You can visit the IRS site to know about this tax issue

Comment

Originally posted by Orangutan View Post
      My spouse received the green card in Oct last year and was staying out of US majority of the times. He used to get the health insurance from insubuy/atlas whenever he traveled to the US last year. So, we had the insurance on months Jul - Oct for him.

I was wondering how to go about filing tax since the deadline is approaching.

Do I have to file jointly (spouse without income) and then pay 2.5% fee for not having him under insurance (jan to jun) OR do I file married but separate but not let him file the tax since he had zero income (if that is an option)?

Really confused. Any advice would be appreciated.

ok!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X