F1 Visa & Education expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Visa & Education expense

I am on F1 visa for less than 5 years. So, I am a non Resident alien filing 1040NR. I am on CPT & have income of $23,000. I have paid around $10,000 for my fees. I was wodering if I can itemize my education expenses(Form 1098-T) in "Job Expenses & Certain Miscellenious Deduction" as Unreimbursed Employee expense- Job related education.

I read the publication. It says education you are pursuing shouldn't be minimum requirement for your job. However, your employer must require you to go for the education.

How about if I get a letter from my employer that my Degree is not the minimum requiremnt for my post but they require me to complete my Masters.

Thanks in Advance.
    Vandana

You can get "Lifetime Learning" deduction. In your case, you can claim $2000. Contact a desi CPA to know about this deduction and other deductions you can get. Other items you can claim if you itemize - laptop purchase, bank charges, commute to work, vehicle repairs, Cellphone bills which your company did not re-imburse, Charity, Job search expenses.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X