Question about ITIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ITIN

I came to USA in Sep 2007 (R1 Visa) and my wife and daughter joined me in Dec 2007 (R2 visa). I need to file my tax return for 2008 but since my wife and daughter are not eligible for SSN I need to get ITIN (Individual Tax Idetification Number) for both of them. What I cannot understand. however, is that in order to get the ITIN you need to attach your tax return to the application for the ITIN although I need the ITIN to complete my tax return and to benefit from the child tax credit and to include my wife and daughter as dependents. So what comes first? How can I attach the tax return while it is incomplete due to the lack of the ITIN of daughter and wife. By the same token, how can I get the ITIN while it is required to attach the tax return.

P.S. For 2007 I filed the tax return as single and did not include my wife and daughter according to the advice provided by the accountant who prepared my return. he said that this would be better ( I don'tunderstand how but this is beside the point anyway.)
    Last edited by MFR; 02-03-2009, 01:23 AM.

you will have to paperfile the returns with your ssn and your family's blank SSn but names filled in.

File a W7 for each with relevant documents.

refer https://www.immihelp.com/newcomer-to...uide/itin.html

Comment

Thanks

I really appreciate your answer, so useful website, thank u so much.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X