Income from two states, state tax query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Income from two states, state tax query

I had income from two states in 2008. I am a non-resident for tax purposes so I have prepared 1040-NR for accordingly.
    For both the states, when I look at their non-resident tax forms, I see that tax is estimated on my total income as in 1040 federal form. However, state tax was deducted only from the income from that state. I have W2 forms for both jobs. Has anyone been in such situation before? What did you do if so? Any indicators will be appreciated.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

How can you be a non resident in 2 states? Did you spend less than 180 days in US?

Need more details. I am not sure what states you are talking about. But California does it based on if you are a resident using some special prorate kind of formula. If you are a NR, it collects the tax only on the state income from that state.
    Last edited by txh1b; 03-08-2009, 02:19 AM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I am in F1 status which is not counted towards resident stay.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Then it is correct. ST is only for the income from that state as a NR.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X