Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tirupathi tax exemption

Hello Members,
    I am going to India and also to Tirupathi. I want to donate some money for Tirumala,Tirupathi temple in USD.

I wanted to know if I can claim tax exemption in the US for that?
    What are the proof or documents necessary as to show in my Tax returns.

Thanks in Advance. Has anyone had any experiences?

No, TTD is not a registered non profit organization in the US. The SV temple in Pittsburgh is also not listed as a non profit.

However, the Bridgewater temple is listed as a non profit and any donation to them can be deducted. Talk to your CPA.

Hindu Temple & Cultural Society of USA, Inc.
    Sri Venkateswara Temple (Balaji Mandir) & Community Center
    (Non-Profit Tax-Exempt Organization.)
    780 Old Farm Road, Bridgewater, NJ-08807
    Ph: (908) 725-4477

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

If you donate to a religous charity in the U.S. the contribution will be tax deductible. Many religious organizations do not have to obtain a ruling from the IRS because their donations are under a certain threshold per year. This rule is only for religious non-profits. Some U.S. charities can support foreign charities. These are usually "Friends of" organizations and the contribution to them is tax deductible. Lastly, you can deduct a foreign charitable contribution if the contribution is made to the government. For example, if there was an earthquake and the government set up a fund that people could donate to, you could donate to that government fund and receive a U.S. tax deduction (assuming you could get a receipt and you translated it into U.S. dollars). This last kind of deduction is only for governments recognized by the U.S.
      Jeff Pickering

Work : (972) 378-5200
      Fax: (972) 692-7215

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X