Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing jointly when wife earned outside U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing jointly when wife earned outside U.S.

Hi,

We got married in 2009 and my wife was working in UK...SHe paid her taxes there.

WHen I file for married filing jointly int he US (she is now with me in the US as a dependent) , do we need to include her work details also?

TIA,

Ramesh

Depends on how you file. You can make an election to treat your nonresident alien spouse as a U.S. resident. You both must agree to be taxed as if you had been in fact, U.S. citizens or residents for the entire year. Neither spouse can claim tax treaty benefits as a resident of a foreign country. Both spouses must agree to be subject to worldwide income.

If your domicile is in a community property state (LA, TX, NM, AZ, NV,CA,WA, AK, WI, or ID), your wife is considered to have income from U.S. sources (she would have 50% of your income) and would be taxed at a flat rate of 30% if she did not make the election.

If you are in a separate property state, you can file married filing separately and report only your U.S. income on the return. Or you can make the election and file jointly as well.
    Jeff Pickering

Work : (972) 378-5200
    Fax: (972) 692-7215

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X