Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1b for non-IT person

Hi there!

I just want some advise, and hope you can help me out! Currently living in the Netherlands, and got a job offer at my current employer - a large technology firm - for our headquarters in the USA. However, our immigration team is not whether I’m eligible for the L1b “specialized knowledge” visa - and hope you can share your experiences with me.

My background:
    * 8 Years of fulltime professional work experience, of which five in marketing, communications, project coordination & 3 in Talent Acquisition HR.
    * Almost finished my bachelor degree (planning end of March ‘19) in business economics and marketing. Minor in psychology and lots of training in cognitive/AI, HR, Talent Acquisition;

The role: an employee engagement role in which I combine my extensive marketing, communications, psychology knowledge with project organisation. Goal: increase engagement in a global team. I think my knowledge is specialized enough for this, since I have step by step build up my knowledge and experience - which is not that easy to teach someone else because it is the experience with multiple projects under different circumstances that got me to my current level. Our immigration team says there are enough HR professionals and also enough marketing professionals. Only an HR professional couldn’t do what I hope to get a visa for, and same goes for a marketing professional - since I have advanced knowledge of both. However, to what extend it is true that you need to be a patent-holder or and IT professional to get a L1b visa?

I have read multiple sources on USCIS and other websites and the definition of “specialized knowledge” as well as the situation under which it may be considered specialized knowledge, remain a bit vague to me. We have a follow up call in the new year, and I want to be prepared well... Hope you can advise me on this!

Looking forward to hear!

Originally posted by HJVNL View Post
    Hi there!

I just want some advise, and hope you can help me out! Currently living in the Netherlands, and got a job offer at my current employer - a large technology firm - for our headquarters in the USA. However, our immigration team is not whether I’m eligible for the L1b “specialized knowledge” visa - and hope you can share your experiences with me.

My background:
    * 8 Years of fulltime professional work experience, of which five in marketing, communications, project coordination & 3 in Talent Acquisition HR.
    * Almost finished my bachelor degree (planning end of March ‘19) in business economics and marketing. Minor in psychology and lots of training in cognitive/AI, HR, Talent Acquisition;

The role: an employee engagement role in which I combine my extensive marketing, communications, psychology knowledge with project organisation. Goal: increase engagement in a global team. I think my knowledge is specialized enough for this, since I have step by step build up my knowledge and experience - which is not that easy to teach someone else because it is the experience with multiple projects under different circumstances that got me to my current level. Our immigration team says there are enough HR professionals and also enough marketing professionals. Only an HR professional couldn’t do what I hope to get a visa for, and same goes for a marketing professional - since I have advanced knowledge of both. However, to what extend it is true that you need to be a patent-holder or and IT professional to get a L1b visa?

I have read multiple sources on USCIS and other websites and the definition of “specialized knowledge” as well as the situation under which it may be considered specialized knowledge, remain a bit vague to me. We have a follow up call in the new year, and I want to be prepared well... Hope you can advise me on this!

Looking forward to hear!
    First of all L1B visa is not for only technical roles - non-tech professionals are also eligible.

Secondly, this visa is for candidate with "Specialized" knowledge - which is rare to find in USA, hence companies are asking foreign employees to move to USA.

If you think your ER role is specialized & no substitute is available in USA to fill that position - then you are certainly eligible.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      First of all L1B visa is not for only technical roles - non-tech professionals are also eligible.

Secondly, this visa is for candidate with "Specialized" knowledge - which is rare to find in USA, hence companies are asking foreign employees to move to USA.

If you think your ER role is specialized & no substitute is available in USA to fill that position - then you are certainly eligible.
      Thanks for this; so if I’m right, it is about the scarcity and availability of the needed skills in the market? They indeed asked me, since they believe I could steward the same transformation in Europe when getting back.

Comment

Originally posted by HJVNL View Post
        it is about the scarcity and availability of the needed skills in the market?
        If you think on the other side, its difficult to find a person in whole USA, who understand "your" company's ER policies & way to handle employees - hence you are eligible, even though there are thousands of ER experts available in market.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

You know, navigating the world of L1B visas can be daunting, especially if you're not from an IT background. That's why I'm grateful for companies like sloboda-studio.com They've shown how tech talent can empower growth beyond just the IT sector.​
          Last edited by JoseGrays; 03-22-2024, 05:56 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X