Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can L1B Visa holder make other income from foreign country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can L1B Visa holder make other income from foreign country?

Hi, I moved to US last year with L1B and now am in the Green Card process.

Early this year, a laboratory from the college that I attended asked me to consult something about their project.
    And I was paid $400 ish every time in foreign currency and in a foreign account, irregularly over a few months. It now reaches $5000 ish in total.

I know that I'm not allowed to employed by somewhere else and also not allowed to do any part time job in US such as Uber Driver.
    However, I wonder whether I'm okay whit this foreign consulting thing or not?
    I thought it doesn't make sense if foreign misc income jeopardizes the green card process, because people could get rent or others for whatever reasons in their home country.

Was I too naive?
    Is this going to jeopardize the green card process? or has the green card been screwed up by this????? :/
    If so, what should I do and how to mitigate negative effects.

Thanks.

Originally posted by avee View Post
    I know that I'm not allowed to employed by somewhere else and also not allowed to do any part time job in US such as Uber Driver.
    However, I wonder whether I'm okay whit this foreign consulting thing or not?
    I thought it doesn't make sense if foreign misc income jeopardizes the green card process, because people could get rent or others for whatever reasons in their home country.
    Let me correct the definition here, An L1 holder is not allowed to do second "work". However he can certainly invest in property anywhere in the world & get rent for that, or get royalty for any patent he may hold, or get return (in form of interest) on savings etc.

If your consulting thing is counted as "work", then it is not allowed. Or if the amount you get paid is like an award, instead of salary, then you should be fine.
    Originally posted by avee View Post
    Was I too naive?
    Is this going to jeopardize the green card process? or has the green card been screwed up by this????? :/
    If so, what should I do and how to mitigate negative effects.
    If you think, it is impacting your GC process.you can declare that as foreign income while filing your IT returns in USA.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

To be safe, consult an immigration attorney who can guide you properly.

Comment

Consulting for a foreign laboratory and receiving income in a foreign account could raise concerns. It's best to consult an immigration attorney to ensure you're complying with all regulations. As for ways to make money fast, there are various legal options, like freelancing online or investing in stocks. Always prioritize compliance with visa rules to avoid any negative impacts on your Green Card process. Wishing you the best in resolving this situation!
        Last edited by Esmarald; 08-09-2023, 06:12 AM.

Comment

In general, U.S. immigration laws are quite strict about visa holders earning money outside of their specified employment. It doesn't seem illogical to assume that foreign miscellaneous income shouldn't jeopardize the Green Card process, especially when people might have various income streams like rent back in their home countries. However, U.S. immigration laws can be stringent, and it's essential to consult with a legal expert to ensure you're in the clear.
          It's interesting that you're consulting for a college laboratory, as many people look for ways on how to make money outside of their main job. For instance, you could make $100 a day online through various means according to this resource I found, but the legality of doing so while in the U.S. on a specific visa is a whole other matter that needs professional advice.​
          Last edited by ShelHarby; 10-05-2023, 06:37 AM.

Comment

As an L1B visa holder in the United States, you are permitted to work for your sponsoring employer in a specialized knowledge capacity. However, you are generally not allowed to engage in other forms of employment or earn income from sources outside the United States while on this visa.

Comment

I'm not an immigration expert, but generally, as an L1B visa holder, your primary employment should be with the sponsoring company. Earning additional income from consulting work with a foreign laboratory could potentially raise concerns during the Green Card process. I think using a web scraping proxy service like https://iproxy.online/web-scraping can assist in ethical data gathering but it's essential to understand and respect the terms and conditions of the websites you scrape. I recommend consulting an immigration attorney to discuss any potential risks or necessary steps to mitigate negative effects.
              Last edited by BNic; 02-27-2024, 09:30 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X