L1A VISA Extension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A VISA Extension

Hi, My L1A VISA expired on 31 May 2020. The extension was filed on 14 April 2020. Due to Covid situation, the premium filing was cancelled by USCIS. My dependents bio-metrics got completed on 17 August 2020. It's almost 120 days since the date of extension filing and have not got any update so far. Since 2 days 3/4th of USCIS employees being furloughed from 1 September 2020 has been flashing everywhere. I am not sure if this will have any impact on my extension processing under regular category. With reduced staff and upcoming elections, I am not sure if the results will be out before completion of 240 days from the date of my VISA expiry. I have I-140 approved on 11 June 2018 and waiting for I-485 filing since priority dates are not current. Many of my colleagues whose extensions were filed since June 2020 have got their VISA's approved in a matter of 2 weeks. Please advise if I should upgrade to premium or wait for the regular process.

Hi, according to USCIS website, "Effective June 8, USCIS will accept premium processing requests for:
    • H-1B petitions filed before June 8 that are pending adjudication and are cap-exempt (for example, petitions filed by petitioners that are cap-exempt and petitions filed for beneficiaries previously counted toward the numerical allocations).
    • All other Form I-129 petitions (non H-1B petitions) for nonimmigrant classifications eligible for premium processing filed before June 8 that are pending adjudication."
    You should definitely need Premium process, it only may take 1 week or 2 weeks to get your extension done. Otherwise you have to wait for 8-12 months for regular process!

Comment

Thanks for your response. I am aware that the premium has resumed. Since my case is 120+ days old and with furlough anticipated to be in effect from 1st September, things might get slower than before. Waiting for some more time is better or just upgrade with premium is good choice. My immigration team advised me to wait for another month since USCIS has started responding to many applications. If we do not see any movement then we can upgrade before end of September. I wanted to know how experts or members are reading the situation and what is the best way to proceed.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X