Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L2 EAD and USCIS Processing times - Positive news

Hello,
    Updating here for the benefit of folks who maybe looking at the USCIS Case processing times and getting worried on the durations shown there.

My spouse has L2 EAD (expiring in May'20) and we applied for renewal which was received by USCIS in 1st week of Dec. The USCIS timelines for California (where our application went), showed (and still shows) timelines between 6- 8 months and it seemed like she will have to leave the job again due to delay in receipt of the EAD.
    Last week we were pleasantly surprised to see that the EAD was approved and its been only 4.5 months.

Questions -
    1. How can the processing times shown online and actual be different?
    2. Do the case processing times reflecting in the USCIS website lag by a few months?
    3. I have an I140 where the processing times are shown as 5-8 months. Anyone has experience getting the same processed before the mentioned timelines?

Thx,

Congratulations!! I'm happy to hear at least some people are getting positive news!

It is important to understand how the processing times are calculated. For form I-765, they are applying a methodology where the first number shows the median (when 50% of the cases have been processed) and the second number shows when 93% of the cases have been processed. This methodology only applies to a subset of forms: https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/more-info

I am also assuming that your spouse's EAD extension was filed while on a valid L2 visa. Because of covid-related travel limitations, many L2 visa holders have been filing extension via form I-539, which is currently at 9-12 month processing wait. I-765s are generally filed with I-539 but are only processed after I-539 approval, thus dragging out published processing times for I-765s.
    I'm an L2 non-immigrant. My most recent I-539 and I-765 were submitted mid-Oct 2020, Texas SC and approved early August 2021.
    Make sure to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. USPS sent back my first EAD and it took 5 months to get it re-mailed in 2018-19.

Comment

Yes she filed when she had a valid L2 visa.
      Hope the processing times for other forms are also just indicative and are processed earlier than displayed atleast for the clear cases which need minimal vetting .

Comment

Hi, thanks for Sharing your experience. did they request for biometrics in your case? Was earlier biometrics given in USA?

Comment

Originally posted by findme View Post
          Hi, thanks for Sharing your experience. did they request for biometrics in your case? Was earlier biometrics given in USA?
          L2 EAD (I-765) does not require biometrics.
          I'm an L2 non-immigrant. My most recent I-539 and I-765 were submitted mid-Oct 2020, Texas SC and approved early August 2021.
          Make sure to sign up for USPS Informed Delivery. USPS sent back my first EAD and it took 5 months to get it re-mailed in 2018-19.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X