Need to details about L1-A/B visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to details about L1-A/B visa

Hello, myself Subhabrata Ghosal (Subho). I work as Sr. Director and head of Pre-Sales. Company willing to process my L1 visa including my family. Now I've some queries if anyone of you can clarify those will be very helpful.
    1. I've 25+ yrs of experience so I feel L1-A would be more appropriate for me whereas company wants to process L1-B. So want to know what are the pros and cons for these visas.
    2. In India my CTC is ~50 Lakhs INR. What salary I can expect is US compared to this. I already got another offer where they offering me ~65 Lakhs INR.
    3. Will my wife also eligible to work there. She is a teacher and she wants to cont. her job. In Bangalore she earns ~80K/month take home.
    4. If I'll go to US I like to go there for longer/forever stay. How is that possible and with L1-B how that is possible. Though I know this I'll not convey during my VISA interview.
    5. Also like to know a typical cost of living (for 3 adults including me) in US (assume its Charlotte, NC) and I need 2 BHK to live. My daughter going to pursue Masters so let me know the cost for the same as well.

Originally posted by ghosals View Post
    1. I've 25+ yrs of experience so I feel L1-A would be more appropriate for me whereas company wants to process L1-B. So want to know what are the pros and cons for these visas.
    Yes, L1A suites more to your profile. L1A is for international managers (head of a department) & L1B is for specialized skill (knowledge about something proprietary to the company & that skill is hard to find outside your organization). L1A gives you 7 years max stay in USA, as compared to 6 years on L1B.
    2. In India my CTC is ~50 Lakhs INR. What salary I can expect is US compared to this. I already got another offer where they offering me ~65 Lakhs INR.
    It depends on your location where you are planning to work from in USA. $150K for a tier 2 city will be decent, compared to $250K in CA Bay area.
    3. Will my wife also eligible to work there. She is a teacher and she wants to cont. her job. In Bangalore she earns ~80K/month take home.
    Yes, L2 spouses are allowed to work in USA with EAD. With new rule L2S holder can work without EAD as well.
    ​​​​​​​
    4. If I'll go to US I like to go there for longer/forever stay. How is that possible and with L1-B how that is possible. Though I know this I'll not convey during my VISA interview.
    L1 gives you limited stay (6 to 7 years) in USA. You'll need to file your Green card to stay in USA permanently.
    L1 is dual intent visa, so you can freely share your intention to permanently stay in USA after getting your GC on L1 visa.
    EB1C Green card (for long stay) is easy on L1A visa, L1B is more inclined towards EB2 - which has long long wait time.
    ​​​​​​​
    5. Also like to know a typical cost of living (for 3 adults including me) in US (assume its Charlotte, NC) and I need 2 BHK to live. My daughter going to pursue Masters so let me know the cost for the same as well.
    Cost of living depends on your spending habit. People in USA surviving with ~60K-70K salary as well.
    Kids college education is way costly - consider $40-50K per annum on their education.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Thanks a ton for your response. It was really helpful. My location would be Charlotte, North Caroline. If 150K there a decent one, considering my kid's education fee will be 50K.

Comment

Thanks a ton for your response. It was really helpful. My location would be Charlotte, North Caroline. If 150K there a decent one, considering my kid's education fee will be 50K.
        Consider $150K as minimum (decent or base) salary & whatever more you can deal with your company.

Assuming you won't bring in money from India to USA (rarely someone does that). You might need to take student loan for your daughter to pay her education expenses.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Are you saying 150K is more of a base salary. Then as per experience (25+ yrs) with Sr. Director role in India with a salary of 65 Lakhs/year what I should get in US. Just an idea would be vey helpful.

Comment

for your type of experience i would say 200 as base salary

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X