No announcement yet.

L2S work authorization during extension in process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi mrbhats, did your dependent have a valid L2 visa to re-enter the US from Mexico?

Here's my situation. My L-1, spouse's L-2 visa and both our I-94 expire on 12/31/2022. Our L-1/2 extension is in progress. I understand I-539 (L-2) approval apparently takes a long time. My question is if my L-1 gets approved, would my spouse and I be able to go to Canada/Mexico border and re-enter with just my approved I-797 and expired L-1/2 visa? Will my spouse get L-2S I-94 matching mine while entering the US? She is working and we want her to continue her employment, so finding out ways how to solve this situation?

newacct
    Last edited by usx; 12-06-2022, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by usx View Post
      Hi mrbhats, did your dependent have a valid L2 visa to re-enter the US from Mexico?

Here's my situation. My L-1, spouse's L-2 visa and both our I-94 expire on 12/31/2022. Our L-1/2 extension is in progress. I understand I-539 (L-2) approval apparently takes a long time. My question is if my L-1 gets approved, would my spouse and I be able to go to Canada/Mexico border and re-enter with just my approved I-797 and expired L-1/2 visa? Will my spouse get L-2S I-94 matching mine while entering the US? She is working and we want her to continue her employment, so finding out ways how to solve this situation?

newacct
      They would need a valid L2 visa to enter on L2.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi usx Sorry I did not respond sooner.
        to re-enter US via Mexico or Canada border you need valid visa stamp or valid/approved i-797 for both. Without these you may be better off wait for extension .
        I hope things are sorted now.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X