Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Affidavit of Support for both parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Affidavit of Support for both parents?

Hello, first time poster. Please bear with me as I am not familiar with the lingo.

I am petitioning immigrant visas for both my mom and dad. I already filed the I-130, one for each one of my parents, and that was approved. The plan is for them to immigrate together, and live with me, in my house.
    I am currently filling out form DS-260, which needs to be one for each one for my parents. So they do have two different NVC numbers.

My confusion is with the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864). The NVC now has an online portal called the CEAC. Originally I thought I had to file one I-864 for each one of them, but the online portal only allowed me to pay it once for both of them, which means I only need to file it one time for both of them?
    Is this correct that is only one affidavit even tho they have two different NVC numbers?
    What it is confusing is that the form for the affidavit states not to include any relative with a separate "visa petition". Well, they do have two different NVC numbers, so I dont know what they mean by different "visa petition".

If it can be only one affidavit, I will be listing my father as the principal immigrant, and my mother (who is immigrating with him at the same time) as the additional family member.

I have more questions, but for now, getting this clarification will help me a lot. Thank you so much for reading.

TP

Originally posted by TealPower View Post
    Hello, first time poster. Please bear with me as I am not familiar with the lingo.

I am petitioning immigrant visas for both my mom and dad. I already filed the I-130, one for each one of my parents, and that was approved. The plan is for them to immigrate together, and live with me, in my house.
    I am currently filling out form DS-260, which needs to be one for each one for my parents. So they do have two different NVC numbers.

My confusion is with the Affidavit of Support (Form I-864). The NVC now has an online portal called the CEAC. Originally I thought I had to file one I-864 for each one of them, but the online portal only allowed me to pay it once for both of them, which means I only need to file it one time for both of them?
    Is this correct that is only one affidavit even tho they have two different NVC numbers?
    What it is confusing is that the form for the affidavit states not to include any relative with a separate "visa petition". Well, they do have two different NVC numbers, so I dont know what they mean by different "visa petition".

If it can be only one affidavit, I will be listing my father as the principal immigrant, and my mother (who is immigrating with him at the same time) as the additional family member.

I have more questions, but for now, getting this clarification will help me a lot. Thank you so much for reading.

TP
    No. Each petition needs a separate Affidavit of Support. Neither Affidavit of Support will mention the other parent.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      No. Each petition needs a separate Affidavit of Support. Neither Affidavit of Support will mention the other parent.
      Thank you so much, newacct. This helps tremendously.

Comment

I have the exact same questions. Can you please share how you ended up doing it and if you faced any trouble?
        1. Did you mention only one parent in each separate I-864?
        2. What was your household number in each form? (you + one parent = 2?)
        3. In the Ds-260 for each separate form- what did you say for the ques
        " Is your spouse immigrating with you? "
        "Is your spouse immigrating at a later date? "

4. Did you request a same day appointment at the US embassy for both parents? If so, what was the process?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X