Questioned about passport and status by police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioned about passport and status by police

I was stopped by police on the road near Phoenix and questioned about my status. They wanted to see my passport and visa right there on the road, which I did not have. I expained I am permanent resident and he said "I can arrest you for not having Passport and your green card with you right now and deport you back to you country".

Is that true? Do we need to carry our passport and green card with us at all time? even going to groceries? I mean, if a cop demands to see passport at Safeway or anywhere out of the blue... one can get get deported for not having it right there at that point ????
    Last edited by reachmeraghu; 05-04-2009, 08:46 PM. Reason: rewording

In some states with a high number of illegal immigrants, some state troopers have been given USCIS authority to enforce immigration law and detain you.

You are supposed to carry your Green Card with you at all times, it says so in the card!
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Yes, local law enforcement has been given immigration enforcement rights off late. It is required by law to carry your immigration status proof with you at all times. Carry a copy of it at the very least and have a scanned copy in your email/online accessible source so that you can get it from any location.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X