Green Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card

Apologies if I am in the wrong forum, please redirect me if I am.
    I am an L1A visa holder from Ireland. We are contemplating applying for the Greencard.
    I have one question. Once we APPLY and we are waiting for the greencard to be processed - are we permitted to leave and re-enter the US (on a valid L1)
    or are we stuck in the US whilst the green card is being processed?

Thank you

I'm assuming that by "applying", you mean filing the I-485 (adjustment of status) rather than filing the PERM or I-140. If your L1 visa and the underlying petition remain valid, you may reenter the US using that visa, and your GC application will continue. Otherwise, you'll need to apply for and receive advance parole before leaving the US. Advance parole is fairly routine stuff but I think it does take a while to process these days.
    The above is my personal opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Winning the green card lottery is a good opportunity to go to the United States. After five years of living in the U.S., it is possible to become a U.S. citizen. To participate in the lottery, you must apply online at https://usa-green-card.com. You will need a passport and a photo that meets certain requirements. Then it is recommended to prepare all the documents required to fill out the application form on the official website. Then you must pass a medical examination and an interview at the U.S. Embassy. I'm sure you will succeed, and I wish you good luck.
      Last edited by WandaOliver; 10-31-2022, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by St3phani3 View Post
        Apologies if I am in the wrong forum, please redirect me if I am.
        I am an L1A visa holder from Ireland. We are contemplating applying for the Greencard.
        I have one question. Once we APPLY and we are waiting for the greencard to be processed - are we permitted to leave and re-enter the US (on a valid L1)
        or are we stuck in the US whilst the green card is being processed?

Thank you
        I've always wondered how long the process of getting a green card takes

Comment

As an L1A visa holder from Ireland considering applying for a Green Card, you may have questions about travel during the Green Card application process. Here's some information that might help:

When you apply for a Green Card, you typically file an Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) if you are already in the United States. During the processing of your I-485 application, you are generally allowed to travel in and out of the United States, provided you maintain your L1A status by using your valid L1A visa for re-entry. However, there are a few important things to keep in mind:

Advance Parole (I-131): To ensure smooth re-entry into the U.S., it's recommended to apply for Advance Parole (Form I-131) along with your Adjustment of Status application (Form I-485). Advance Parole is a travel document that allows you to re-enter the United States while your Green Card application is pending. Without Advance Parole, leaving the U.S. while your I-485 is pending could potentially lead to the abandonment of your application.

Maintain L1A Status: It's crucial to maintain your L1A status until you receive your Green Card. This means you should continue working for the L1A employer and follow all the rules and regulations associated with the L1A visa. If you lose your L1A status (e.g., by resigning from your L1A job), it could impact your Green Card application.

Timing: Keep in mind that processing times for Green Card applications can vary, so it's important to plan your travel accordingly. Be prepared for potential delays.

Consult an Immigration Attorney: Since immigration rules can be complex and subject to change, it's advisable to consult with an immigration attorney or seek guidance from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for your specific case to ensure that you are following the correct procedures and requirements.

In summary, you are generally permitted to travel in and out of the U.S. on a valid L1A visa while your Green Card application is being processed, but it's essential to maintain your L1A status, consider obtaining Advance Parole, and seek professional advice to navigate the process smoothly. Travel plans should be made with careful consideration of your Green Card application timeline and requirements.​

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X