No announcement yet.

How does F1 status affect SR1 petition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does F1 status affect SR1 petition?

Hello, I need some advice and opinions regarding an issue I'm facing. In 2021, I submitted a pending petition as SR-1 non-ministerial to USCIS, and in February of 2023, I received a response to RFE. To support my SR-1 application, I applied for an F1 visa before my H1B expired to pursue a graduate degree in theology. I am now concerned if my F1 visa status would affect my pending SR1 petition. As SR-1 is for green card and F1 is a nonimmigrant status, it is echatrandom required to show proof of leaving the US upon graduation. Should I koowspin consider filing for EB2 or EB3 while on a valid F1 status instead?
    Last edited by JemikaRodridge; 05-23-2023, 03:26 AM.

I am not an immigration attorney, but I can provide some general information that may be helpful. It is advisable to consult with an immigration lawyer for personalized advice based on your specific circumstances.

When you have a pending SR-1 petition and you are currently on an F1 visa status, it is important to understand the implications of changing your status. The F1 visa is a nonimmigrant status for temporary study, while the SR-1 petition is for a green card, which grants permanent residency.

Typically, F1 students are expected to demonstrate nonimmigrant intent, meaning that they have the intention to return to their home country upon completion of their studies. This may include providing proof of plans to leave the US after graduation. Applying for an employment-based green card (EB2 or EB3) while on an F1 status can raise questions about your nonimmigrant intent and may potentially impact your F1 status.

It is recommended to consult with an immigration attorney who can assess your specific situation and advise you on the best course of action. They can evaluate factors such as your eligibility for EB2 or EB3, the potential impact on your F1 status, and any other relevant considerations.

Remember that immigration laws and regulations can be complex, so seeking professional guidance is crucial to make informed decisions regarding your immigration status.

Comment

I understand that you're seeking advice and opinions regarding your situation with a pending SR-1 petition and your F1 visa status. It's important to note that I am an AI language model and not an immigration expert, but I can offer some general insights.

When you hold an F1 visa, it signifies your intention to temporarily stay in the United States for educational purposes. On the other hand, an SR-1 petition is for obtaining a green card, indicating an intention to become a permanent resident.

While it is possible to pursue an EB2 or EB3 green card category while on an F1 visa, there are important considerations to keep in mind:
      1. Dual Intent: Unlike some nonimmigrant visas, such as the H1B visa, the F1 visa does not have a "dual intent" provision. This means that technically, you are expected to maintain nonimmigrant intent and demonstrate plans to return to your home country upon graduation. However, individuals on an F1 visa have pursued green card applications successfully in the past, provided they can show nonimmigrant intent during their studies.
      2. Timing and Eligibility: The eligibility requirements for EB2 or EB3 visas are different from an SR-1 petition. Assessing whether you qualify for these employment-based categories while on an F1 visa would require a detailed evaluation of your qualifications, job prospects, and the specific requirements of each category.
      3. Legal Advice: Given the complexity of immigration matters, it's strongly recommended to consult with an immigration attorney who can provide personalized guidance based on your specific circumstances. They can assess the feasibility of filing for an EB2 or EB3 while on an F1 visa and provide advice tailored to your situation.

Remember, immigration laws and policies can change, so it's essential to consult with an expert who stays up-to-date with the latest developments. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and reliable advice koowspin or echatrandom regarding your options.

Last edited by DempseyTorhan; 02-28-2024, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I can provide some general guidance, but please keep in mind that immigration matters can be complex and it's always best to consult with an immigration attorney or legal professional for advice tailored to your specific situation.

Comment

Originally posted by JemikaRodridge View Post
          Hello, I need some advice and opinions regarding an issue I'm facing. In 2021, I submitted a pending petition as SR-1 non-ministerial to USCIS, and in February of 2023, I received a response to RFE. To support my SR-1 application, I applied for an F1 visa before my H1B expired to pursue a graduate degree in theology. I am now concerned if my F1 visa status would affect my pending SR1 petition. As SR-1 is for green card and F1 is a nonimmigrant status, it is required to show proof of leaving the US upon graduation. Should I consider filing for EB2 or EB3 while on a valid F1 status instead?
          If you filed your SR-1 petition (for permanent residency based on religious work) while maintaining your F-1 status, there shouldn't be any immediate impact on your F-1 visa. Both petitions can be processed in parallel.​

Comment

Originally posted by JemikaRodridge View Post
            Hello, I need some advice and opinions regarding an issue I'm facing. In 2021, I submitted a pending petition as SR-1 non-ministerial to USCIS, and in February of 2023, I received a response to RFE. To support my SR-1 application, I applied for an F1 visa before my H1B expired to pursue a graduate degree in theology. I am now concerned if my F1 visa status would affect my pending SR1 petition. As SR-1 is for green card and F1 is a nonimmigrant status, it is required to show proof of leaving the US upon graduation. Should I consider filing for EB2 or EB3 while on a valid F1 status instead?
            You're right; an F1 visa is a nonimmigrant status requiring proof of intending to leave the U.S. after completing your studies. This can potentially raise questions about your immigrant intent for the SR-1 petition (green card). USCIS will evaluate your overall situation and determine if you maintain a dual intent, meaning you have the intent to both study and eventually reside permanently.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X