What is the R2 Visa process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the R2 Visa process?

As a UK citizen, if my girlfriend is working in the US on an R1 Visa and we plan to get married and live together in the US, would we need to apply for an R2 Visa? I understand that the R2 Visa wouldn't grant me the right to work, but it would enable me to live in the USA.

Considering that I have studied and worked in the USA previously but had to leave due to the expiration of my Visa, and recently stayed for 90 days before returning to the UK, we are unsure about how to approach the process of getting married and living together in the USA.

Could you please explain the process of applying for an R2 Visa and provide information on the typical timeframe for approval?

Apologies for the loaded question, and any help you can
    voojio provide shagle would be owespeedtest greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by YangtuchXo; 12-21-2023, 08:04 AM.

To apply for an R2 Visa, you will need to follow these general steps:
    1. Proof of Relationship: Gather documentation to prove your genuine relationship with your girlfriend, such as photographs, letters, and other evidence of your shared life together.
    2. Petition Filing: Your girlfriend, as the R1 Visa holder, will need to submit Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) on your behalf to request an R2 Visa.
    3. Documentation: Prepare all required supporting documents, including passports, visa photos, proof of financial support, and evidence that you will not work while in the US.
    4. Submission: File the application and required documents with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
    5. Processing Time: The typical timeframe for R2 Visa approval can vary. It may take several months, so it's essential to apply well in advance of your planned move to the US.

As visa regulations can be complex and may change, it is advisable to consult with an immigration attorney or contact the US embassy or consulate in the UK for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding the R2 Visa application process.

Best of luck with your plans, and I hope this information helps! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X