F1 visa renewal ; MS to PhD conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa renewal ; MS to PhD conversion

I applied to F-1 visa in July 2010 for coming to the US to pursue MS in Polymer & Material Science. However, I was handed form 221(g) and asked to provide more information for further administrative processing. I provided the extra information and was granted a 4-year visa a month after the interview. I also received a tuition scholarship (80% waiver), joined the University and started with the program. Over time I started liking my research and I opted join the PhD program in the same University, in the same program but WITHOUT completing MS degree. I'm currently enrolled full-time with full tuition scholarship and stipend and working towards my PhD.

But, my current F-1 visa is due to expire in August this year (2014). And I'm undecided whether I should go back to India to renew or stay back to complete PhD (my I-20 is valid till 2019 and I expect to finish PhD before that). Please advise if you think that the earlier 221(g) might impact the chances of my visa getting renewed along with the fact that I directly converted to PhD without finishing MS (my original degree objective).

Please advise, thanks!
    Go for renewal, Chances are you will get the visa without issues
    0%
    Stay back and complete PhD as chances are you might experience delay/reject in visa renewal.
    0%

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X