Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 holder requesting permanent residency

I am a F1 Visa holder.
    Both my parents recently got citizenship through naturalization.
    They were filing a I-130 form for me, and we came across form I-485 on the instruction sheet.
    My question is, Must we submit both forms together, or should I wait for the I-130 to be approved first?
    or can I go without filing the I-485 at all?

Are there any other forms that I will need to fill?

Thank you for your time.

How old are you?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Comment

Assuming you are unmarried, you are in the F1 category, which has a wait for visa numbers of around 7 years (longer for people born in Mexico and the Philippines). If you are married, you are in the F3 category, which has a wait for visa numbers of almost 12 years (longer for people born in Mexico and the Philippines).

The I-130 has to be filed, and then you have to wait that many years, before you can proceed to the next step. The I-130 being approved is not enough. After a visa number becomes available, if you are in the US and in status at that time, you can apply for Adjustment of Status with I-485; otherwise, you go through Consular Processing in your home country for an immigrant visa. You will almost certainly not be in your current F-1 status at that time, so your current F-1 status is not relevant.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for the information

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X