Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Out of Status with expired F1 Visa - any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of Status with expired F1 Visa - any suggestions?

Hey all, F1 visa has expired and I 20 has been discontinued at current school. What is your suggestion? The cause is academic dismissal which is caused by disputable reasons. Thank you.

If you can gain admission to another school, you can apply for status reinstatement with USCIS, if you have not been out of status for more than 60 days

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      If you can gain admission to another school, you can apply for status reinstatement with USCIS, if you have not been out of status for more than 60 days
      Thank you! Does that mean, even though the I-20 is terminated, there is a possibility for regaining status without having to leave? I really want to complete my studies and I am capable to do so. And about current status in the school that dismissed me, I am appealing courses that were assigned failed grades - due to the fact that I had not completed the courses after not attending final two weeks due to a pressing situation. The problem is, I had not appealed and neither discussed the grades with professors due to having not known the way it works in the US and also due to some unfair things which had been done in the school (subtle and difficult to defend at this time). Is there anything that needs to be done? Do you think its a viable idea to make an appeal along with request reinstatement 2.5 months after dismissal?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Luigirobin View Post
        Do you think its a viable idea to make an appeal along with request reinstatement 2.5 months after dismissal?
        Appealing your dismissal (ie academic reinstatement) is a separate issue from gaining USCIS status reinstatement. Even if you don't qualify for academic reinstatement, you may qualify for USCIS status reinstatement if you can get admission at some other school that will issue you an I-20, but again, you would have had to been out of status for less than 60 days. You may have been out of status even prior to your dismissal, so in the timeline you have provided you would not qualify for USCIS status reinstatement

Even if you don't qualify for USCIS status reinstatement, you may qualify for academic reinstatement, according to the policies and procedures of your school. Because you will have been out of status too long to get USCIS status reinstatement, you can travel abroad and return with your new I-20. I believe you need a new F-1 visa as well, although some students get away with reusing their existing unexpired F-1 visa foil, which should be deemed void because of the status violation

Comment

Thank you very much for clarifying the number of possibilities surrounding this issue. I will update how the process is progressing on this thread.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X