No announcement yet.

F1 visa renewal application under administrative processing. I am very scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa renewal application under administrative processing. I am very scared

Hi all,

My F1 visa is expiring in June 2018. Since my PhD will likely be extended by 6-8 months, I decided to renew my visa. I submitted my application 4 days ago through dropbox without interview in Chennai and have been constantly checking for status updates at https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/. Today, the status has been changed to "Administrative Processing" with the following message:

"Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. Please follow any instructions provided by the Consular Officer at the time of your interview. If further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved, it will be processed and mailed/available within two business days.
    For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Chennai."

I don't understand why my application has been put under administrative processing. My field of study is not in the Latest Technology Alert List (TAL). After reading some horror stories on these forums about administrative processing, I am really scared. I am participating in a summer fellowship beginning June 1 in the US which will be crucial for future employment and am really worried I won't get the visa in time.

Is there any thing I can do to know more about what's happening? Should I call/email the consulate or send an email to the state department explaining my circumstances and request for expediting my visa application? I know some of you on here have been through this situation, so I would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you!

Hi,

I am currently in OPT and F1 is expiring on Oct. I have planned to go for F1 renewal on Sept. Can you please share your experience on F1 renewal? I heard from many people that the administrative processing is taking long time and it makes me nervous about the renewal. Thanks !!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X