Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT to F1

Hi,

I came to the US on an F1 visa to study a master program (visa valid until 2011), but after one semester, I transferred to a vocational certificate program. I will graduate from that certificate in Sept '09 and my OPT will start from the same month.

After my OPT expires next august, can I go back to F1 status by getting a new I-20 for a MBA program? If, so, will I get another 12 months of OPT after I graduate from MBA (because now im only graduating from a "certificate program" which is a "lower" degree) ?

Originally posted by nurburgring
    Hi,

I came to the US on an F1 visa to study a master program (visa valid until 2011), but after one semester, I transferred to a vocational certificate program. I will graduate from that certificate in Sept '09 and my OPT will start from the same month.

After my OPT expires next august, can I go back to F1 status by getting a new I-20 for a MBA program? If, so, will I get another 12 months of OPT after I graduate from MBA (because now im only graduating from a "certificate program" which is a "lower" degree) ?
    OPT is not a status, you are still F1 while on OPT, so you can transfer to another school/program after finishing your OPT or anytime in between. And you will get a new OPT after you finish your second program.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X