Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 to H1 crisis

Hello Everyone,

My H1 didn't get picked in last year's lottery. So I have left my OPTand taken up another masters course and currently I'm on F1(full time) status. With the new rules coming up everyday I have doubts if I can file my H1 for this year. For my situation I wanted to know Do I have to have a job, for some employer to file my H1. My masters will be ending sometime early next year.

Plz help...your inputs are highly appreciated.

Of course you have to have a job. Employer will file for H1 not you. They will state that they are interested in hiring a temporary foreign worker for xyz job in their application. That's what H1 petition means. Don't get caught up with some unscrupulous consultant. Complete your master's and you will have a good future with that degree.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

I agree with the previous post but most of the time you need to educate your employer about H1 process. Some people dont know about immigration rules in general. So they may not even say " we will do H1" while some MAY say "we dont do sponsorship". Get the job offer and then bring the talk about H1. Shouldn't you have the OPT once you graduate?
      Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

Well I left my opt and joined my second masters....so I think I won't have an other OPT again.

Comment

You will sure have another OPT, when you complete your second master's. Talk to your school's DSO and they will explain.

Comment

As I left my OPT without using it completely, they said I'm no longer eligible for my second OPT. Difficult situation with no clue :-(

Comment

You can consult an attorney or if you feel you can read legal documents, study the code of federal regulations (CFR) on USCIS website. It will show you the appropriate article which applies to you.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba
                You will sure have another OPT, when you complete your second master's. Talk to your school's DSO and they will explain.
                Wrong. Only one OPT for a level of degree. Next higher level degree will get another OPT. Ready for a doctorate?

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X