Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA


No announcement yet.

Information about Commuter student/ F3 Visa

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Information about Commuter student/ F3 Visa


    I am an Indian citizen with Permanent Residence in Canada. I used to live in Detroit, MI with my husband. We are on TN and TD visas respectively. I am also a part time student at the University of Michigan, Dearborn. I am currently taking Bachelor/ Undergrad level courses to become eligible to apply for my Master's Program in Computer Science. I will be done with these pre-requisite courses this Summer term, and I already got accepted to the University of Michigan Dearborn for Fall 2019 under the TD Visa. Before the TN and TD visas, we were on E2 visas, but had to change them due to a change in my husband's employment. But almost immediately after I was issued the TD Visa, I secured a job in Windsor, Ontario, so I moved to Windsor. After that, I crossed the land border by the bridge a few times to Michigan, to meet friends, go on trips, and also to write exams at the University (I am an online student so I attend my classes online and take tests in the University). But when I recently crossed the border with my husband, I was asked to go for a secondary inspection, and was told that TD Visas are only for spouses of TN Visa holders that live in the United States, and if I wish to continue my part time education after this term in the US, I must apply for a commuter student visa.

    This was the first time I had ever heard of it. I have hardly found any information on it so far. Some websites say that it's the commuter student visa for Canadian and Mexican residents, but some say that it is the commuter student visa for Canadian and Mexican nationals/ citizens only. Does anyone here have any light to shed on this matter at all? Does this visa have to go through the same process as the F-1 visa? I really wanted to start my course this Fall term, but it looks like I have to go through a whole visa interview process with I-20 if that's the case here.

    Any information anyone can provide here will be of great help!

    Thank you!!!

  • #2
    Permanent Residence in Canada do Canadians still need of US Visa to enter US or ESTA application would do?
    I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met


    • #3
      Hi, you may want to read this article: Permanent Resident in Commuter Status by CitizenPath. If it's a fully online course, though, you won't be able to qulify for a student visa: to do that, it has to be a full time program and only one of the courses can be online in this case. But you are free to apply for a Visitor's visa anythime. I'm going to write my essay motivation and apply for an online degree at D'Youville College, so I think it can be a Visitor's visa only.


      • #4
        Thank you for sharing this!


        • #5
          Hey! I know everything about the subject you ate talking here about. The F-3 visa is intended for Canadian or Mexican students who are “border commuters” – individuals who live close enough to the border to commute to a U.S. academic institution. You are not allowed to reside in the United States at any point while on an F-3 visa. You may wonder where I discover this, just because I am professional writer and I help students with their home assignments. Not so far ago faced with such, creting for him so kind of the characteristic letter.