Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT approval and F1 VISA renewal after DUI arrest

Hi,
    I wanted to share the whole experience because I regret my decision for sitting behind the wheel whenI was drunk. Many of you may have done it, One unwise decision shouldn't spoil your career or life. However, if you believe that it was one time mistake and I am sure you can get out of it. Below is my experience and result.

I was arrested for DUI on May 31st 2018 and BAC was 0.110. I was asked to appear in the court. However my visa was revoked automatically on the same night when i was arrested. From 2016 any non-immigrant visa arrests will lead to automatic VISA revocation. Make sure you always have a working email address registered in UStraveldocs .

So, coming to my DUI case I had to hire two layers - one criminal layer who can handle my DUI case because DUI is considered as criminal misdemeanor and Immigration Attorney is to advise about your immigration status.

BTW, my drivers license was cancelled too.

My court hearing was scheduled in the month of July 2018 and filed a PLED NOT GUILTY and entered into Diversion program. This program is nothing but a probation. You have to do following things.

1. Complete 40-80hrs of community service depending on your prosecutor decision
    2. Attend MADD class
    3. pay fine- for me it was $350
    4. One year / until the program has successfully completed - you are not supposed to leave the country without informing the Judge or the court
    5. Psych evaluation

I have completed the whole thing in 1 month and filed for case dismissal. Usually cases cannot be dismissed until 365days period but if you can convince your lawyer the urgency they are capable of pushing it faster.

I applied for my first OPT EAD on June 10th 2018 while my DUI case was still pending.

My lawyer was able to convince the court regarding my OPT approval risk and Judge was generous enough to dismiss my case as I completed the program as per the instructions given by the court.

My DUI case was dismissed in the month of September 2018. But it was still available for public records that I was arrested for DUI, which is a high risk to get a job in the US.
    So I consulted my immigration and criminal attorney for the advise, We all agreed to file an Expungement of my case but it was very too early to do that. However, Attorneys are capable of convincing the court if you have a strong reason and you are good to everyone and bear the necessary expenses.

My case was expunged on 28th of November 2018. It was wiped off from all public records along with DMV, police stations ,sheriffs office, community service center, MADD, Pshyc doctor's office and even in court's file.

On November 15th 2018 I received a letter from USCIS saying the my OPT is under NOID -(Notification of intent to deny) due to DUI arrest. Provide the necessary documents if you are NOT CONVICTED and decision will depend on the case severity.

This is where immigration attorney comes into the picture. My lawyer ordered all the necessary documents from the court even before the expungement. She prepared a packet to USCIS with the answer why my OPT shouldn't be denied because I was NOT convicted . Attorney's office mailed it to USCIS along with the NOID letter received from USCIS.

after 10days my OPT was approved successfully.

I got a job and started working from Jan 2019.

As I said my visa was revoked and I cannot re-enter USA if I travel abroad. I had to visit India for my wedding in Nov 2019. I consulted my immigration attorney before my travel. She asked me to answer the truth and do no lie in DS160. I checked arrested as YES and applied for my F1 visa renewal on Oct 26th 2019 the next day I landed in India.

For some reason officer was not ready to see my court documents and he asked me about DUI and I was honest. He gave me 214(b) which was unusual for a renewal process. So my attorney prepared a new letter this time for the consulate and emailed it to me and asked me to reschedule a new appointment.

First time it was rejected under 214b in Hyderabad and now I scheduled it in chennai consulate after 3 weeks. I am married now and went to the chennai consulate on Nov 19th for an interview.

Here is the badluck, I was assigned to the same officer who rejected my visa in hyderabad 3 weeks ago. what are odds of getting into this situation (1 in millions). He saw my case and gave me a sarcastic smile and asked me why chennai. I was honest and told him it was rejected couple of weeks ago in hyderabad, and it was you who denied it, and mentioned that you are free to re-apply anytime but case is denied this time. So, I couldn't find any new appointments until january in hyderabad.

Officer: well, I will give you a fair chance this time. take your passport and i20 . Walk to any other window except mine. Good Luck.
    Me: OMG!!! I have no words. I said thank you so much and asked staff to assign me to some other officer.

New officer: Hi Good Morning, how are you?
    Me: Good Morning , I am doing good. thanks for asking.

New officer: Please give me your passport, i20, ds160
    Me: Sure, here are the documents

New officer: So, you had a DUI? when was this DUI?
    Me: Yes, I was arrested in may 2018 almost an year and half ago and I was NOT convicted and my case was dismissed by the court later

New officer: ok, can I see your court documents ?
    Me: Sure. Here is the letter from my attorney attached with the court documents.

New officer: She read the whole letter of explanation why I shouldn't be denied under 214(b) and my immediate family lives in India.

officer took the documents to the senior officer and came back after 2 minutes.

New officer: What was your BAC
    Me: 0.110

New officer: what are you doing now in the US?
    Me: I am working for an employer XYZ as a Database Administrator and Programmer. Lot of things have changed from past one year. That was one bad decision when I was a student. Now I am married , working and more responsible.

New officer: When did you graduate?
    Me: Aug 2018

New officer: What is your pay now?
    Me: XYZ per month

New officer: so ABC amount per year?
    Me: No ABC after taxes. Before taxes ABC**23(Exact annual pay)

I answered per month because in DS160 I mentioned it monthly. Be honest with your every answer.

New officer: Well, I need to make a copy of your court documents, I don't need attorney's letter anymore. you can take it back. Please be seated I will call you in 5minutes.
    She gave me a waiting slip

New officer: Called me. Ok, after reviewing your case, you need to go through our medical center for physical and pshycological evaluation before we take this case further and she handed me 221g and Apollo Hospital chennai contact details

Me: Thank you Ma'am. Have a great rest of your day.

I called Apollo and scheduled my appointment on 25th november as there was a weekend.

Attended for Medical test in chennai on 25th of November 2019
    1. Blood
    2. Urine
    3. Eye, hearing
    4. Chest XRAY
    5. Psychological evaluation by Psychiatrist

Doctor asked me number of questions regarding my drinking habits. As I wasn't drinking since then so I was good and told her the same thing.
    Explained why I was behind the wheel that night and she said everything is good but one unwise decision in your life, I hope you won't repeat and risk yours and other lives on the road.

Reports will be sent directly to the consulate. so I left.

It was a thanksgiving break so my case was not updated for a week.

On Dec 11th , I received an email to pickup a document in Hyderabad VAC. It was 221(g), They asked me to submit my passport and 221g submission letter in any of the dropbox locations VACs

I submitted it right away and my passport was delivered to chennai on dec12th 2019

Since, Nov19th my case was under "Administrative Pending"
    case was updated on Nov 20th with same status.
    After submitting my passport, case was updated again after a month on Dec 18th but still it says " Administrative Processing"

Dec 23rd 2019, I called US Consulate Helpline to see whats happening but they said I still have to wait until the status changes.

It is going to be a Christmas Break this week. Today is 23rd december. I hope I will hear something today or else after holidays.

I will keep you posted guys.

Sorry for the long story but I wanted to share my experience and hoping for the best.

UPDATE: My visa was approved on January 15th, 2020 and Delivered to Hyderabad VAC for pickup after 4 days. I was back in the US on Jan 25th.

I faced some hurdles at Port of entry, but again be honest what you say and be confident. Stick to the same story what you have answered to Visa officer before approval. At port of entry officers have access to every single detail of your case.

Thanks,

Last edited by randomuserwithDUI; 01-08-2021, 04:25 PM.

Hello, very sorry to hear about your story. But this has been very helpful and detailed.
    i am an anxious mother whose son is in the US under F1 and had an arrest. Even though he has sorted out the matter, i want some help from you with reference to the lawyer contacts and general information.

Please help as we are quite desperate. Thank you.

Regards
    Nesha.

Comment

Hi Nesha,
      Please check your private message.

Comment

Hi, I am in a similar boat. I was framed by Indian police and media in a 307, Assault and threat case. I am now looking to study in the US

Comment

Hi Sir,

Extremely sorry to hear about your situation but glad that it got resolved! I am in a similar situation and needed some help and guidance. Can you please give me details of your immigration lawyer? Kindly help me if you can, my OPT has already been applied for and I got a DUI after I applied for the OPT but haven't received a decision or a NOID yet.

Comment

Hi,
            I am currently pursuing my Masters at Arizona State university. I landed in US on August 13th 2021.
            Yesterday (December 9th) night was one of the worst nights as I got stopped by and officer right in-front of my house at 4:30 am and the alcohol reading was 0.10. My car was impounded but I was not arrested. The officer took me to a van where they collected my blood and he asked me to take a uber back. I was back to my place within an hour. He asked me to appear at the court on 20th December. The officer told me that he has booked it as a misdemeanour.
            Im planning to hire a attorney.
            I received an internship offer recently, will it get affected due to this? Also, I read online that the visa gets canceled immediately and i have to reapply if I got to India. Please let me know what I can do to get out of the situation eith least damage to visa status and from job perspective. Please help!! ????????????

Comment

Hi,
              I am an F1 visa student and I got a DUI misdemeanour citation recently and I was trying to figure out which attorney to hire. Please give me the contact of attorney. Please text me if you can. Your help will mean a world to me
              thanks

Comment

Hello, Sorry to hear about your story but glad you resolved it.

My situation is Currently I'm on STEM OPT and is valid up-to June 2024 and I am having the same issue as i was arrested for DWI. My Question is regarding the F-1 revocation( I didn't get any notice from UStraveldocs) and i want some help from you with reference to the immigration lawyer contacts and general information. Can you please share the details of your immigration lawyer?

Please help . Thank you.

Comment

Sorry to hear bro what happened to you. I'm just about to apply for a visa and I have a question. Does the Migration Service have records of violations in my previous country, and will this affect the student visa?

Comment

hello I need some help

Comment

I got a DWI with a car accident on October 2nd. So I got 2 misdemeanor case. I hired one criminal lawyer. Case is still pending. I am doing my MS here and will be graduating next semester. I am applying for PhD, but I am not sure about the next steps. I didn't get any visa revocation email/phone call or any info. I am assuming my visa is revoked. However, if I get a PhD opportunity I shouldn't be worried about OPT. But my concern is visa and the next steps how do I get over from this situation. This is getting tough and suffocating

Comment

Can you give any contact information of your attorney? I have an immigration attorney and he is saying that if my visa is revoked, I will no longer be in a valid student status, that means unlawfully present, that could lead to deportation.

Comment

Hi - My husband is in a same situation. can you please provide the lawyer contact details?

Comment

Hello, I had a dui event almost 8 yeas ago in the US. After returning to India out of choice (not due to any DUI or immigration issues), I had to travel to the US 4 years ago; then the 221g was issued. Post the visa interview, I completed the medical test at Apollo, submitted the old police report. The visa was rejected with a note that was multilingual for some reason.

I was recently informed that a PCC report needs to be applied for with the FBI and then I can reapply. Looking for advice on how I can successfully apply for a business/travel visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                            X