Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 Visa stamp while STEM OPT pending approval

Hello,

I'd really appreciate it if I could get help from people who are/were in a similar situation that I'm currently in.

A quick background. I came to the U.S under H4 in 2012, went back to India in 2014 and re-entered the U.S under H4 again in 2015. I was already doing my undergraduate studies while on H4. I turned 21 years of age in 2016 and acquired an F-1 Student Visa through COS. As I was already in the United States when I received the F-1 Student visa, I did not get an F-1 Visa stamp in my passport. I have not been back to India during the intervening years, therefore, I have not had the opportunity for the U.S. Embassy in India to provide me that stamp.

I'm currently in my first year of OPT which expires in February of 2020. I already applied for STEM OPT in December 2019 and am waiting for its approval.

The situation that I am currently in is that I need to travel to India in February of 2020. I've been advised to NOT travel to India until I get my STEM OPT approved. However, once I get my approval, I need to go to the U.S. Embassy in India to get my Visa stamp. I'd like to know the interview process, the documents that I need to carry and anything that I need to be aware of in general.

Thanks in advance.

Update: I got my STEM OPT approval just in time and flew to India before the Covid-19 hit hard. I originally scheduled my interview process for March of 2020. However, with the Pandemic and lockdown, they had to cancel my interview. After checking the embassy website on a daily basis for a new interview slot, I was able to schedule one in September at the Hyderabad embassy. On the day of my interview, all the applicants who arrived had to follow the social distance guidelines and had to wear a mask. They didn't check for the temperature. There was only one person who took all the interviews so it was longer than usual. When it was my turn, the interviewer was really nice and only asked me a few questions.

1. My I-20 (Make sure, you have your updated I-20 that reflects STEM OPT)
    2. I mentioned that I am going back to the united states as I am currently on my STEM OPT.
    3. Visa approved and she told me to drop off my passport.
    4. I picked up my passport a week later.

Hope this helps!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X