1 year F1 Visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 year F1 Visa

I’m an italian citizen and got my visa at the US Consulate General in Milan. I got my first f1 visa in the spring of 2021. I was issued a one year visa, even though the ‘program end date’ on my I-20 is May 2026. At first I thought it might have been because of Covid restrictions since back then the US was closed to international travel, however 10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254, I just renewed the visa and the new one I was issued is again a one year visa. I’m not sure what the problem is. I have showed enough funds for all 4-years so I’m really confused why they keep issuing me a 1 year visa when most people are getting 5 years ones.

Last edited by ajihu; 07-21-2022, 05:51 AM.

A US visa is just for entry. So as long as the visa is valid on the date you plan to enter the US, it is enough. The only benefit of a longer validity visa is to allow you to leave and re-enter the US on that visa in the future. If you don't plan to leave the US, then the visa validity makes no difference. Even if you got a visa that expires in 1 week, you can enter during that week, and stay for your entire 4-year program (plus any transfers or OPT if desired) without getting a new visa if you don't leave the US.

According to the visa reciprocity schedule (select Italy on the left and F for type of visa), the normal validity is 16 months, so it seems like a little more than 1 year is pretty normal.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the information, I will try to figure it out for more. Keep sharing such informative post keep suggesting such post.

myloweslife
      Last edited by MarleyM; 07-22-2022, 12:09 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X