F1 Visa Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 Visa Questions

This is my background: I am applying for a F1 visa to the USA, with a I-20 from a community college. The I-20 states that the length of the program is 3 years. I am planning to transfer to a 4-year university (received a conditional offer already from the university).
    1. I filled in my intended length of stay: 4 years (because I am planning to finish my bachelor's degree in a university). Is it fine even though it is different from the one stated in the I-20? Should I bring my university conditional offer letter to prove my intention?
    2. I have been to the USA before as a visitor (but the visa is on an expired passport). My current passport is empty as I just renewed it recently. How can I tell the visa officer that I have been to the https://9apps.ooo/​ USA (and many other countries)? I believe that my travel history will help me. Should I stick/attach my old passport(s) together with my new one when I hand over my passport to the visa officer during the interview? Note: I have listed the countries I visited in my DS-160 form.
    3. Any tips or advice for the interview? Thank you very much for you help .
    Last edited by prahalagu; 09-14-2023, 06:31 AM.

Is it fine to list my intended length of stay as 4 years, even though the I-20 states that the length of the program is 3 years?

Yes, it is fine to list your intended length of stay as 4 years, even though the I-20 states that the length of the program is 3 years. This is because you are planning to transfer to a 4-year university after completing your program at the community college. You should bring your university conditional offer letter to prove your intention.

How can I tell the visa officer that I have been to the USA before (and many other countries)?

You can tell the visa officer that you have been to the USA before by mentioning it in your cover letter and bringing your old passport(s) with you to the interview. You should also list the countries you have visited in your DS-160 form.

Should I stick/attach my old passport(s) together with my new one when I hand over my passport to the visa officer during the interview?

Yes, you should stick/attach your old passport(s) together with your new one when you hand over your passport to the visa officer during the interview. This will help the visa officer to verify your travel history.

Any tips or advice for the interview?

Here are some tips or advice for the F-1 visa interview:
    • Be honest and truthful in your answers.
    • Be polite and respectful to the visa officer.
    • Be prepared to answer questions about your academic plans, financial support, and ties to your home country.
    • Dress professionally.
    • Arrive on time for your appointment.

Here are some additional tips:
    • Be prepared to explain why you chose to study in the United States and why you chose the particular community college and university that you have applied to.
    • Be prepared to discuss your financial resources and how you will pay for your tuition and living expenses in the United States.
    • Be prepared to explain your ties to your home country and why you plan to return after completing your studies in the United States.

I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your F-1 visa interview!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X