Indian passport stolen with f1 visa and i94..please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian passport stolen with f1 visa and i94..please help

My brother is in carnegie mellon university, is currently in seattle doing his internship.
    A few days back his passport got stolen, and it had the i 94 stapled to it. He has applied for a new passport at the indian embassy.
    Iv done my research about the visa, and am aware that he will have to apply for a new one . That is not an issue since he is coming to india in a few months for his holidays.

My question is about his i 94. I heard the normal time for application and processing for renewal of i 94 is 2 to 5 months. Is this true? Apart from this, since he is coming to india in a few months does he need to apply for a new i94? Because i doubt it will be ready before he leaves for india. What is the best solution in this situation? Can he fly back without his i 94 ans re enter without having to face any issues?
    Note- he does NOT have a xerox of i 94, but has only the admission no. Of the i 94 form. ( is this sufficient?)

Reply awaited... Thnk u

Check with his school's DSO, they may have a copy of the I-94.
    It is better if he sends the copy of I-94 and copy of boarding passes to London, KY address (Seach CBP website for unreturned I-94) after he leaves the US.
    Also, he does not have to travel just for the sake of Visa. If he has completed his studies and is doing OPT, it is somewhat risky to apply for F1 Visa. If that is the only purpose of traveling, it is better to just apply for duplicate I-94 and remain in the US.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

He checked with the college, they do not have a copy of the i 94.
      Will it be ok if he just shows the police report and id no. Of the org i94, to show them the proof of the robbery while leaving the US?

And he is coming back for holidays, not purely for visa purposes. I assume he will be given a new i 94 on arrival in the us again, so im confused if he should even pay 330 $ for application of the new one knowing it is not gonna arrive before he departs for india.

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      Check with his school's DSO, they may have a copy of the I-94.
      It is better if he sends the copy of I-94 and copy of boarding passes to London, KY address (Seach CBP website for unreturned I-94) after he leaves the US.
      Also, he does not have to travel just for the sake of Visa. If he has completed his studies and is doing OPT, it is somewhat risky to apply for F1 Visa. If that is the only purpose of traveling, it is better to just apply for duplicate I-94 and remain in the US.

Comment

It should be okay to travel without the new I-94. At most he will have to face some questioning on returning. It is good to keep all documentation about lost passport at hand.

Just understand that there is risk in any F1 Visa application because of potential immigrant intent. Being on OPT makes it somewhat more risky.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by g10_1991 View Post
          My brother is in carnegie mellon university, is currently in seattle doing his internship.
          A few days back his passport got stolen, and it had the i 94 stapled to it. He has applied for a new passport at the indian embassy.
          Iv done my research about the visa, and am aware that he will have to apply for a new one . That is not an issue since he is coming to india in a few months for his holidays.

My question is about his i 94. I heard the normal time for application and processing for renewal of i 94 is 2 to 5 months. Is this true? Apart from this, since he is coming to india in a few months does he need to apply for a new i94? Because i doubt it will be ready before he leaves for india. What is the best solution in this situation? Can he fly back without his i 94 ans re enter without having to face any issues?
          Note- he does NOT have a xerox of i 94, but has only the admission no. Of the i 94 form. ( is this sufficient?)

Reply awaited... Thnk u
          Hi could you please give me your contact number. I am in the same situation right now and I would like to know what was your brothers experience. I am still pursuing masters and planning to go india just for the sake of stamping.
          Please reply asap.thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X