TN Visa with previous cancelled immigrant visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Visa with previous cancelled immigrant visa

I am Canadian and have an offer of employment from a US company which would require me to enter the US and work on a TN Visa. My education/experience and job description perfectly fits a TN category so I am not concerned about denial on those grounds, and several colleagues of mine have taken similar jobs in the US and had no issues getting TN visas.

However, my parents got divorced when I was young and my father moved to the US as an LPR, and eventually became a citizen. About 14 years ago when I was 19, I had planned to come live with him and he sponsored me for LPR status. I got the visa to enter the US as an LPR but plans changed and I never did. I had the visa canceled without prejudice by USCIS and have never had a problem since.

Is there any chance that this previous history will be considered some kind of immigrant intent and I will be refused on those grounds? Clearly, I had immigrant intent at some point, but also clearly I never used the visa and had it canceled, so I no longer had immigrant intent at that time. The situation now is completely different. This was 14 years ago when I was under 21, and before I even got the professional designation I now have and the career field I have. Moreover, I am now married with children. I am not moving to the same state as my father and, in any case, if my father tried to sponsor me now as a married son or daughter over 21, there would be a very long wait time well beyond my TN validity, so it's not like I can get in on TN apply for adjustment of status.

Maybe I am being paranoid but just wanted to see what people thought, will this be an issue? Obviously you never know what one border agent may do and I can always try again, but is this likely to actually prevent me from getting the TN? Note that I have several bank accounts and credit cards in Canada and can show some assets in the bank (several thousand dollars, but nothing extreme).

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X