Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on TD visa

Hello,

Can a Canadian Citizen work as a contractor (taking salary in business account in own Inc.) for a Canadian client while living in USA on a TD visa?
    Secondly, can a Canadian Citizen work full time for a Canadian company taking salary in Canada while living in USA on a TD visa?

Thanks!
    Last edited by samusa1990; 04-18-2023, 05:56 PM. Reason: TD Visa, Work for Canada company

no and no

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      no and no
      Thank you!
      How about h4 visa?

Can a Canadian Citizen work as a contractor (taking salary in their business account for their own Inc.) for a Canadian client while living in USA on a h4 visa?
      Secondly, can a Canadian Citizen work full time for a Canadian company taking salary in Canada while living in USA on a h4 visa?​

Thanks1

Comment

I can provide you with general information. But it is best to consult an immigration lawyer or the relevant government agencies.

Regarding your first question, a Canadian citizen living in the USA on a TN visa can work as a contractor for a Canadian client while taking a salary in a business account in their own incorporated company. However, it is important to note that the individual must make sure that their work does not violate any immigration laws, such as working for a US-based company or performing work that is not covered under the NAFTA TN visa category.

Regarding your second question, if a Canadian citizen is living in the USA on a TD visa (dependent visa for a spouse or child of a TN visa holder), they are not eligible to work in the USA unless they obtain their own work visa. They can work for a Canadian company taking a salary in Canada, but they must ensure that their work is not performed in the USA and that they do not violate any US immigration laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoophysics View Post
          I can provide you with general information. But it is best to consult an immigration lawyer or the relevant government agencies.

Regarding your first question, a Canadian citizen living in the USA on a TN visa can work as a contractor for a Canadian client while taking a salary in a business account in their own incorporated company. However, it is important to note that the individual must make sure that their work does not violate any immigration laws, such as working for a US-based company or performing work that is not covered under the NAFTA TN visa category.

Regarding your second question, if a Canadian citizen is living in the USA on a TD visa (dependent visa for a spouse or child of a TN visa holder), they are not eligible to work in the USA unless they obtain their own work visa. They can work for a Canadian company taking a salary in Canada, but they must ensure that their work is not performed in the USA and that they do not violate any US immigration laws.
          No. Working for a US or Canadian company makes no difference. You cannot work while in the US for any company unless authorized to work. TD cannot work for any company while in the US. TN can only work for the company they got TN for, and no other company, no matter where it's located. H4 cannot work while in the US unless they got an H4 EAD (which is only available to H4 whose H1b have an approved I-140).

Comment

Thank you!
            My question was more about the TD visa - So according to you, a person on a TD visa can work full-time for a Canadian company or also conduct their Canadian business while living in the USA. Is that correct?

My extended question to the above is If I come to the USA on an H1B visa, Can my spouse who will be on H4 visa work full-time for a Canadian company or also conduct her Canadian business while living in the USA as a dependent? She won't be working for any US employer.

Best Regards!

Comment

No. Working for a US or Canadian company makes no difference. You cannot work while in the US for any company unless authorized to work. TD cannot work for any company while in the US. TN can only work for the company they got TN for, and no other company, no matter where it's located. H4 cannot work while in the US unless they got an H4 EAD (which is only available to H4 whose H1b have an approved I-140).
              Got it, my mistake

Comment

Thank you!
                How long it is taking these days for getting H4 EAD?

Best Regards!

Comment

Originally posted by samusa1990 View Post

Thank you!
                  How long it is taking these days for getting H4 EAD?

Best Regards!
                  As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the USCIS processing time for an H-4 EAD was around 2.5 to 5 months from the date of receipt of the application.

However, processing times are subject to change and can vary based on the number of applications being received and the current workload of the USCIS. It is always a good idea to check the USCIS website for the latest processing times for H-4 EAD applications. Additionally, you can track the status of your application on the USCIS website using your case number.

Comment

As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021​
                    Are you ChatGPT?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X