Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TN visa for canadians at US-Mexico Border (port of entry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN visa for canadians at US-Mexico Border (port of entry)

I am a Canadian citizen, currently in Texas US on E-2 dependent, with EAD and currenty having a job, which i believe is eligible for TN visa as well. Due to the issues with the business (that has E-2 tied to), I would like to change my visa to TN. I also have a TN support letter from the employer.

Is it possible to apply for TN at a US-Mexico border port of entry or do i have to travel to Canada and go through port of entry at Canadian border only?

Can I apply for TN for myself first and later on change the status of my spouse and kids to TD or do we all have to travel/apply together?

How is the recent TN experience at the border - are the CBP officers little lenient or uptight?

Thank you all!

Hey mj9355, I recently went through a similar situation. Yes, you can apply for a TN visa at the US-Mexico border; you don't have to go back to Canada for that. Just make sure all your paperwork is in order, especially the TN support letter you mentioned.

As for your spouse and kids, it's possible to change their status to TD later, but having everything sorted together often makes the process smoother.

My experience with CBP officers was pretty straightforward. Can't speak for everyone, but it seemed like as long as you have your documents in line, you should be okay.

By the way, I found TNWise super helpful in my journey. They break down the steps clearly and even cover experiences at different ports of entry. Worth checking out. Good luck!​
    Last edited by cowboy87; 10-02-2023, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Yes, it is possible to apply for TN at a US-Mexico border port of entry. However, you should be aware that the CBP officers at the border may be more likely to deny TN applications from people who are currently in the US on another type of visa, such as E-2. This is because the CBP officers may be concerned that you are trying to "game the system" by switching to a TN visa in order to stay in the US longer.

To improve your chances of success, it is important to have a strong TN support letter from your employer and to be prepared to answer any questions the CBP officers may have about your TN visa eligibility. You should also be prepared to show the CBP officers proof that you are a Canadian citizen and that you have a valid passport.

Yes, you can apply for TN for yourself first and later on change the status of your spouse and kids to TD. However, it is important to note that the processing times for TD visas can be quite long. Therefore, you may want to consider applying for TN for your spouse and kids at the same time as you apply for TN for yourself.

The recent TN experience at the border has been mixed. Some people have reported having a smooth and easy experience, while others have reported having a more difficult experience. It really depends on the individual CBP officer who processes your application.

Here are some tips for increasing your chances of success when applying for TN at the border:
      • Be polite and respectful to the CBP officers.
      • Have a strong TN support letter from your employer.
      • Be prepared to answer any questions the CBP officers may have about your TN visa eligibility.
      • Show the CBP officers proof that you are a Canadian citizen and that you have a valid passport.
      • If you are applying for TN for your spouse and kids as well, be sure to have their TN support letters and passports ready as well.

I hope this information koows is helpful. Please koows let me know if you have any other questions.
      Last edited by OlivianKocja; 11-22-2023, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Thank you all so much for the replies.

Follow up question on education - I did diploa in electronics engineering from India, which has been eveluated as an Associate degree in Electronics Technology, matching my job profile as an IT professional. I also have 20 years of experience in IT (15+ in Canada - large corporation).

is the associate degree ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to be from Norht America - for TN Visa? Would my Indian Diploma (evaluated as an associae degree) count alongwith my Canadian and US experince?

I know the Bachlor's degree from anyhwhere would count as long as it is correctly evaulated, and matching with the job decription. I am not sure about the non-bachlor's degrees such as mine from countries other than North AMerica.

Your earliest reploy would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mj9355 View Post
          I am a Canadian citizen, currently in Texas US on E-2 dependent, with EAD and currenty having a job, which i believe is eligible for TN visa as well. Due to the issues with the business (that has E-2 tied to), I would like to change my visa to TN. I also have a TN support letter from the employer.

Is it possible to apply for TN at a US-Mexico border port of entry or do i have to travel to Canada and go through port of entry at Canadian border only?

Can I apply for TN for myself first and later on change the status of my spouse and kids to TD or do we all have to travel/apply together?

How is the recent TN experience at the border - are the CBP officers little lenient or uptight?

Thank you all!

As a Canadian citizen, you have the advantage of applying for TN status at a designated US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) port of entry located at the US-Mexico border. You don't need to return to Canada.​

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X