Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-1 to Visa Waiver by leaving the USA

hi,

my situation at the moment is the following.
    I am currently a student on practical training on the basis of a J-1 visa.
    At the end of my internship in the grace period I want to travel within the US and also to Canada.
    As my flight back to Europe departs from the US, I would have to reenter within my grace period. I know that this is not possible with an expired DS2019, therefore I would like to use the visa waiver program.

Is it possible to reenter the US using the visa waiver program? My homecountry is subject to the visa waiver rule.
    Will there be any problems doing this? Can you give me any information what is important on doing that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

This will be seen as a case of trying to juggle every means possible to re enter the US and hang around... remember if they see that you have other intentions other than a true reason for Study / Travel, as intended/stated in you VISA you can bear the brunt of the immigration law.

You will be directed to secondary processing and review at the port of entry and maybe denied entry and shipped back. So be very careful.

Comment

did it work?

hi,

I just saw your message in the forum and have the same problem: I have a J-1 Visa and my grace period ends 30th September. However my flight back is on 17th October. Therefore I want to leave to Canada during my grace period and come back with the Visa Waiver Progam (I am Austrian an my country is in the VW-program).

I would be very pleased, if you could tell me, if it did work in your case?

Thank you very much! =)

Comment

No, you can't do this.

Go to costa rica or somewhere cheap and come back to be safe.

Or change your flight.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X