Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoplifting 45 years ago threatens ESTA approval - can I do something about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifting 45 years ago threatens ESTA approval - can I do something about it?

Hi

My 74years old relative got detained at the border when entering the country.
    His declaration on the ESTA application did not match the system's records: he got fingerprinted 45 years ago for shoplifting, he did not tie this past event to the ESTA eligibility question: "Have you ever been convicted or arrested for a crime that resulted in serious harm to another person, severe damage to properties, or government authority?".
    The officer told him that subsequent ESTA applications will be rejected unless this question is answered "yes" to. This does not mean that approval is guaranteed if the answer is "yes".

My questions are:
    1. Does this void the current ESTA, or can it be reused for entry until its expiry?
    2. Does the fact that he was able to enter the US despite this record mean that chances are high that future ESTA applications are accepted even if the answer to the declaration mentioned above is "yes"?
    3. Is there anything we can do to legally "clear" this record? Getting into such trouble at 75yo for something that happened 45years ago seems ridiculous.
    4. Is he likely to be detained every time he enters the US?

Thank you very much

Awesome and interesting article. Great things you’ve always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post.
    Mypascoconnect
    Last edited by Lucille99; 09-06-2022, 11:44 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X