Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DS160 form - ""Other names" - name variations, known or used but not on official docs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS160 form - ""Other names" - name variations, known or used but not on official docs

Hello ImmiHelp members,

Regarding the DS-160 Help section on filling in the DS-160 form, where it says as follows:

===

"OTHER NAMES

Other names used include your maiden name, religious name, professional name, or any other name by which you are or have been known.

Make sure to enter the other names you have used in full. Thus, if you have only used another surname, enter it along with your usual given name. If you have only used another given name, enter it along with your usual surname.

===

I am not a U.S. resident or citizen, but am applying for renewal of B2 visa (expired this year) As far back as I can remember (even for most of schooling days), I have been known by the english name of "Victor", which is indicated on driver's license, passport, Medicare, tax, bank etc. However my birth certificate has the italian equivalent of the same name - Giorgio.

Both names are spelt in standard Roman alphabet text. Do I need to declare the birth certificate name on the DS-160 form under the "other names" question? I can't see why as I have never used it and, as as far as I know, don't need to submit it for this kind of application. I tried asking the US consulate and they wouldn't commit to any answer on this one. "Vittorio" is not a name that I have used or have been known by.

Furthermore, my colleagues at work have called me "Vic". Both Vittorio and Vic are variations of "Victor". Sometimes "Vic" is used on work documents, such as certificates of short course attendance, or name badge.

Is the question only talking about aliases or "other names" (or name variations) that are listed on documents, or are they talking about name variations that you have been known by over the years, even if not recorded on any official documents.

For B2 renewal I only need to submit my current passport as I satisfy criteria for applying for renewal by mail (although I do recognize that consulate reserves the right to request an interview - which is a 2-hr plane trip from where I live ). My current passport has my previous visa, which is the first visa I was ever issued.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

V
    Last edited by Enquirer001; 09-19-2013, 08:29 AM.

You need to enter your name in the application as per what is there in your passport.

Other names that are used in other documents should be mentioned in 'Other Names' section. You should also make one and the same person affidavit. Sample at https://www.immihelp.com/sample-one-...s-immigration/

Any names that you have been verbally known as are informal and you don't have to mention them.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks heaps for your reply, ImmiHelp.

It's a headscratcher to me as to why I even need to include this. With my previous visa application, I don't recall having to submit a copy of my birth certificate to the pertinent embassy, or being asked about it. There was no need for a police check either. (Incidentally, there was no ESTA system back then, and ten-scans had just come in). ALL my major documents e.g. tax office, driver's licence, passport, Medicare, bank accounts, etc are under the english version.

Nonetheless, I'll take up your suggestion. Thanks again,

V

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
      You need to enter your name in the application as per what is there in your passport.

Other names that are used in other documents should be mentioned in 'Other Names' section. You should also make one and the same person affidavit. Sample at https://www.immihelp.com/sample-one-...s-immigration/

Any names that you have been verbally known as are informal and you don't have to mention them.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X