Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizen Married a B1/B2 Visa Holder in Nicaragua

Hello,

I would like to get some tips as to what is the best and fastest way to have my wife come back to the US to live with me legally. My wife and I got married on 12/27/14 in Nicaragua where she currently lives and we are now planning to live our lives in the US. She was granted a B1/B2 Visa in 2013 and is valid for 10 years. She's been here twice to visit me with that. I would like for this time for her to stay. What do you recommend I do? By the way, I am a US Citizen. I want to marry her again here just civil (not sure if it's necessary). I am trying to avoid fixing her papers while she remains in Nicaragua because I hear that it takes longer and they will need to give her a different type of visa.
    What process can I take to have her living here with we are applying? There are so many forms out there that it's confusing.

Originally posted by sgballer11 View Post
    Hello,

I would like to get some tips as to what is the best and fastest way to have my wife come back to the US to live with me legally. My wife and I got married on 12/27/14 in Nicaragua where she currently lives and we are now planning to live our lives in the US. She was granted a B1/B2 Visa in 2013 and is valid for 10 years. She's been here twice to visit me with that. I would like for this time for her to stay. What do you recommend I do? By the way, I am a US Citizen. I want to marry her again here just civil (not sure if it's necessary). I am trying to avoid fixing her papers while she remains in Nicaragua because I hear that it takes longer and they will need to give her a different type of visa.
    What process can I take to have her living here with we are applying? There are so many forms out there that it's confusing.
    Well, I suggest you as follows;

FAMILY-BASED IMMIGRATION VISAS

For Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas (Unlimited):

These visa types are based on a close family relationship with a United States (U.S.) citizen described as an Immediate Relative. The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year. There are as many visas as there are qualified applicants.

Immediate relative visa types include:

IR-1: Spouse of a U.S. Citizen
    IR-2: Unmarried Child Under 21 Years of Age of a U.S. Citizen
    IR-3: Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen
    IR-4: Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen
    IR-5: Parent of a U.S. Citizen who is at least 21 years old.

The First Step toward an Immigrant Visa:
    Filing a Petition as the first step, a sponsoring relative must file a Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130 with the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

In certain circumstances, a U.S. citizen living abroad can file an immigrant visa petition outside the United States.

U.S. Sponsor Minimum Age Requirement:
    U.S. citizens must be age 21 or older to file petitions for siblings or parents. There is no minimum age for a sponsor to file petitions for all other categories of family based immigrant visas. However, a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR) must be at least 18 years of age and have a residence (domicile) in the United States before he or she can sign an Affidavit of Support, Form I-864 or I-864-EZ. This form is required for an immigrant visa for a spouse and other relatives of U.S. sponsors.

Is Residence in the U.S. Required for the U.S. Sponsor?
    Yes. As a U.S. sponsor/petitioner, you must maintain your principal residence (also called domicile) in the United States, which is where you plan to live for the foreseeable future. Living in the U.S. is required for a U.S. sponsor to file the Affidavit of Support, with few exceptions.

PLEASE NOTE: Once your Immigrant Visa is endorsed at the point of entry, it in itself serves as a temporary Green Card for 1 year and could be used to reenter the U.S.

Hope above satisfy to your concerns. Good Luck

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X