• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FNU name correction after visiting US once on B1 Visa

Hi,

My name on my (Indian) Passport is like
    Given Name : Rajesh Kumar,
    Surname : Blank
    I never noticed this thing and last October 2014 I got my B1- Visa and noticed that on Visa my name looks like 'FNU,Rajesh Kumar'. It was urgent to go US at that time and I visited with same name.

Now I want to correct my name in Passport. Like Given Name: Rajesh and Surname : Kumar.

So my question is , will it affect my visa? Do I need to re-stamp my Visa OR while future travels Can I carry my both passports one on which I have name corrected and the old one on which I have Visa stamped.

Thanks in advance.

There is no name change facility available for visa. Anyways, You have to carry both the passports, after renewing your passport and your existing visa will be valid until the date mentioned on it.

This is my opinion, not a legal advice.

Comment

Hi Rajesh,
      Im in the same boat. did you face any issues during immigration?.
      Please advise if you were asked any questions?

or was CBP fine when you showed them both passports?.

Regards ,

Comment

Originally posted by Aiyappa View Post
        Hi Rajesh,
        Im in the same boat. did you face any issues during immigration?.
        Please advise if you were asked any questions?

or was CBP fine when you showed them both passports?.

Regards ,
        Hi Aiyappa,

I did not travel to US after my visits. I hope you have visited US with your both passports and faced NO issues. Please let me know.

Thanks,
        Rajesh

Comment

Yes, i had no problems with the same. you can carry both your passports
          Originally posted by rajesh.thapar43 View Post
          Hi Aiyappa,

I did not travel to US after my visits. I hope you have visited US with your both passports and faced NO issues. Please let me know.

Thanks,
          Rajesh

Comment

Originally posted by Aiyappa View Post
            Yes, i had no problems with the same. you can carry both your passports
            Hi Aiyappa,

I am in the same boat where my old passport had entire name in one line and I had FNU in my Visa, I got my passport renewed with name bifurcation. As you mentioned that you had traveled with similar update in your passport. Did immigration or port of entry officer had any question regarding same or any extra scrutiny because of the change in VISA vs new passport?

Also to Rajesh, did you travel as well with similar updates?

Please share your feedback.

Comment

Hi Aiyappa,

I am in the same boat whereas my old passport had my entire name in one line , thus FNU in VISA, however I got it corrected(split) on new passport and I need to travel to US soon.
              Now I wanted to ask, were you asked additional questions or subject to any scrutiny due to this difference in VISA and new passport?

Please suggest, your response is much valued and appreciated.

Also Rajesh, did you happen to get it changed in your passport and traveled to US after the update in passport?

Comment

Bumping this old thread as I have exactly same problem. I would like to know if I need to reapply my B1 visa after name bifurcation and getting a new passport OR my old visa will work.

Please help.

Originally posted by rajesh.thapar43 View Post
                Hi,

My name on my (Indian) Passport is like
                Given Name : Rajesh Kumar,
                Surname : Blank
                I never noticed this thing and last October 2014 I got my B1- Visa and noticed that on Visa my name looks like 'FNU,Rajesh Kumar'. It was urgent to go US at that time and I visited with same name.

Now I want to correct my name in Passport. Like Given Name: Rajesh and Surname : Kumar.

So my question is , will it affect my visa? Do I need to re-stamp my Visa OR while future travels Can I carry my both passports one on which I have name corrected and the old one on which I have Visa stamped.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by kapilku View Post
                  Hi Aiyappa,

I am in the same boat whereas my old passport had my entire name in one line , thus FNU in VISA, however I got it corrected(split) on new passport and I need to travel to US soon.
                  Now I wanted to ask, were you asked additional questions or subject to any scrutiny due to this difference in VISA and new passport?

Please suggest, your response is much valued and appreciated.

Also Rajesh, did you happen to get it changed in your passport and traveled to US after the update in passport?
                  Hi Kapiku,

I am in the same boat too. Did you visit US after this and were there any additional scrutiny?

Comment

Facing the same issue. FNU in B1/B2 visa. So, bifurcated the name in pp. Travelled once before name bifurcation. Now with the same visa I will be allowed to travel without any problems? Planning to travel soon. Thanks in advance

Comment

Bumping this thread, did any of you guys end up travelling? Pls share your experiences, as I'm in a similar boat and having never travelled prior to the name change, I'm a little concerned. Thanks in advance!

Comment

Hi All ,

Am exactly on the same boat. I have travelled thrice with FNU as Given name .But this year i have bifurcated my name in my new passport.

I want to travel to USA again but not sure if immigration officers request any legal document for bifurication of name ?

Aiyappa could you please let us know if any questions were asked in immigration when you visited like legal documents or so on ?

Thos will also help me rajeh,Saurabh who have similar doubts.

Thnaks,
                        Shafiq

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X