Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filing COS from H1B to B2 (with no intention of changing back to H1B)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filing COS from H1B to B2 (with no intention of changing back to H1B)

I'm currently in H1B status and doing well at my job, but I want to quit and travel the world for a few years. However, I don't want to leave the U.S. right away, because my lease expires on Sep 30 (8 months from now) and I love living with my boyfriend in our current apartment. My ideal is to quit job soon, stay in the U.S. (in my current apartment, doing some reading/learning/trip-planning), and leave the country in September.

I plan to file a Change of Status from H1B to B2 for 6 months, but I have some questions -

1. I assume that I can't quit my job before I receive approval of my COS request. Is that right? If I ask for 6 months of B2, is it 6 months from the day of my application, or from the day of approval? How long does it normally take USCIS to process & send the approval notice?

2. How likely that my 6 month request will be approved? What if I ask for 8 months?

3. What if my COS to B2 is denied (or if only 3 months of B2 is approved so I don't want to take it anymore). Since I'm still employed, can I just ignore the COS incident and keep working in H1B status?

4. Will my currently employer be notified of my COS application?

Thank you very much!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X